New guy old boat need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who pooted?

Reaction score
Fellas,

I love this website! I've spent many a late night hours during the business week up reading this forum. Due to my new addiction work has suffered and my newlywed marriage may be ending prematurely.......she can have everything but the boat! I've got a couple questions.
1. How do you alter your profile i.e. add avatar, sayings at bottom of screen, etc.?

2. Can you guys with your trial and error help a first timer on his boat mod? Jim before you send the message I will have pics on the next post, it's a little dark at 12:15am on tuesday here in England, Arkansas.
Here's the breakdown on the boat:
Bought from an old friend at a rock quarry-trailer, boat, 9.5 Evinrude $250.00. Since sold said motor now have 18 horse Johnson Sea King.
-1436 brand unknown (pics may help identify, no id plate on boat)
-Boat in good structural shape, needs cosmetics.
-Going to paint bottom with Steelflex, top with suggestion here
-Bought 1x1x1/8 Alum. Angle for deck bracing, what type/size rivet should i use
-have 50lb Minkota Maxxum 12v FCTM, Hummingbird 400TX D/F, will buy another D/F for back of boat to get readings while using outboard suggestions, purchasing bilge what kind would be good, Marine stereo with speakers, safety lights, 50" flat screen tv and a Ronco Bassomatic 76 for that wonderful blended bass refreshment!
On the electrical I fall short of being retarded so this is where the help would be much obliged. How many/type batteries to power all that, what type of electrical components needed (circuit breaker, switch box), wire size for connections to components, type of onboard charger so I don't have to remove the batteries.

Anybody live near central Arkansas?

Sorry for the long post, just full of questions!
Thanks for any help-Who Pooted?

Welcome to Tinboats from Alexander Ar. I am still in the process of my first tinboat mod so I will not be of much help to you but there will be many to post help for you shortly. I used 3/16" aluminum pop rivets on my framework. Just be sure and get a proper length that will pull tight.

Welcome!
Thanks for joining! :beer:

At the top of the forum underneath the TinBoats name is a User Control Panel link. From there a new window will open up and on the left hand menu you will see "profile". When you click on that it opens a new set of menus to edit your profile, Signature, Avatar, and account settings. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away or PM me....honestly.

Here is the "new member thread" that will help with Photos and general things about the site: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3723.

I would go with two 12 volt batteries in parallel for all the Electric stuff. The fishfinders don't draw much and neither will the stereo.

Aswitch panel and fuse box you can pick up at Cabelas and Marine store. Make sure the maximum amp draw of the TM does not exceed the fuse block. Type in "Fuse block" in the search up at the top and a few threads will come up.

It MIGHT sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't when it comes to this stuff. Hopefully someone will chime in soon and help out with some of your questions.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your boat!

Jim

Not a bad little deal. For rivets holding up structure, 3/16 diameter is the way to go. Then 5/32 for holding decking down, as in that instance, the rivet isn't under much load. Choose the correct grip length for whatever material you are riveting. Home Depot has at least 1/4 and 1/2 inch grip length, which between the two, is a wide enough variation to do almost anything you will want to do with them.

For a bilge pump, just get whatever you find on sale. I haven't found one to be better than the other, and really a 250 gallon per hour would be just fine for you.

Jim thanks for the help. Everyone else the same to ya. I can't wait to get my project underway and post pics. Bassboy1 i believe on your mod you used alum all around, supports/decking, right? I got a deal on a 4x12 alum sheet with .125 gauge-I think that's a little under 3/16" of an inch, would that be sufficient for decking?
Where did ya'll place your wiring on decks that will be donwn permanently? If a problem arises with wiring you'd have to get the rivets out the redo. I plan on having a deck in front as well as back and also the sides are to be covered. With that plan i don't know where/how to run my wiring for access, but i don't want it to show either. Any suggestions/pics?

On the steelflex-how much do i need for the bottom of the 1436. Just one quart? I plan on doing bottom plus 2" up on sides.
For the rest of the boat I'm using Petit Epoxy Marine Paint-Good Stuff!
https://www.petitpaint.com

Guys thanks again for the welcomes and help. Look forward to contributing myself once i get this project under my belt.

On the wiring,I wouldn't use fuses. You can buy breaker set ups just as cheap. Then you don't have to keep up with extra fuses. As for hiding the wiring,are you gonna put a floor down? If so,run it underneath. You shouldn't need access if it's done right. Use good quality auto wire,not household. Also,don'y use anything smaller than 10 ga. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Good luck.

Thanks Motard! I'll run with the breaker suggestion rather than fuses.
Happy Turkey Day to All

Latest posts