Installing Trim Tabs ( double walled transom)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashbuilder

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need a little help here ....

I’m in the process of moding my Tracker V12 and I need some advice. I want to add some “Smart Tabs” to the transom but I’m not sure how to secure them. The transom is double walled with no filler between the two aluminum surfaces. That means that if I drill thru both surfaces I’m likely to have leak issues.

I was thinking the best bet was to pop rivet the tabs to the external surface.

I guess I’d:
drill the holes
squirt in some 3M 5200
insert rivet
pull rivet
seal rivet with more 5200

What do you think?
Or is there some kind of hollow insert that can be placed thru both hull surfaces that will allow me to bolt the tabs on?

I’ll be heading back to the islands this Dec. to continue work on this:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4738

Looking forward to input

Can you get to both sides of the transom with no problem, but it's a hollow double wall? If so you could drill a larger hole( just big enough for the bolt heads to go through) in the inside wall and then be able to tighten them up to just the outside wall and the tab.

You could use aluminum bushings to keep from collapsing the double wall.Either way,use a good sealant like 3M 5200 marine.It can be purchased at most box mart stores and home improvement centers.

Sent an email to Nauticus, seems like it's not a big deal ... here's what the said:

"Don’t worry, just use the supplied stainless steel sheetmetal screws. We have never had an issue with any aluminum boats."

So there it is, sheet metal screws.

Latest posts