New Guy with a new winter project (Project Craigslist)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinchef

Reaction score
Alright here is the deal I have been looking for a boat for a while. I was looking for something inexpensive but everything I was finding was out of my price range or just to far away to justify the cheap price. So what I did was post an ad on craigslist wanted section for a jon boat. About a week later I got an email saying to come and pick up the boat for $20. Heck yeah!! So I started today by giving it a bath and getting my workshop ready for the new project. I will be posting updates about the build. There are four different holes that need to be patched and it needs new transom support, but for $20 it will do.

I am unsure about the model/year from the old logo (whats left of it ) the first two letters are BA and the last two ON. Anyone have an idea? I am currently on the hunt for a trailer and going to start planning the layout for "Project Craigslist"

From what I have seen on this site it looks like I have found a new forum home. The craftsmanship, attention to detail, and knowledge is awesome here. I look forward to the build and seeing what ideas everyone has to share.

Also come spring if anyone wants to fish some of the lakes/private ponds in the south metro area let me know I'm always looking to go.

**pics to come tonight gotta set up them up in photobucket**

its a 14ft and 32 inches wide. I'm still trying to determine the make. The funny thing is I picked the boat up in the "beater" truck I purchased off of craigslist and bought the boat with money from a sale off craigslist. I'm trying to see if I can complete the boat with stuff from there. Trying to see what I can complete out of nothing. Should be a fun project

Here are the pics as promised.

100_1091-1.jpg

The middle seat was already cut out for some reason so easy access for a floor and decking

100_1092.jpg

The transom needs new support, handles, and some new hardware

100_1096.jpg

This is the biggest hole in the bottom, its only about half the size of a penny

In the NADA list of boats there was a BAYON listed from 1971 to 1983. I don't know what they look like but you may want to start there looking. Good luck.

A quick note on the title... I know MASS is a pain in the bum about titles and registration and sales tax and bills of sales.... they will even require you to register a canoe if you mount a trolling motor on it... :evil: also I know, at least for mass... if your boat doesnt have a 12 digit Hull Identification number on it (typically before 1972) then you have to have an epo assign one to it before you can even start TRYING to get a title for it (i know all this from experience from another boat i was going to fix up and it is just a royal pain, thats why the boat i have now is named "The coulda shoulda woulda") So just make sure you dot your legal i's and cross your paper-work t's before you go sinking a lot of money into the project just to find the friendly people down at your local registry shaking their head when you ask them for a registration number... otherwise you may end up with a reeeaaalllyyy neat lawn ornament. I dont mean to come off like a negative nancy, i would just hate to see someone make the mistakes I've already made :oops:

It almost looks like Basshound in that pic... I'll look more into later and see if I can come up with anything

DryFlyRy said:
A quick note on the title... I know MASS is a pain in the bum about titles and registration and sales tax and bills of sales.... they will even require you to register a canoe if you mount a trolling motor on it... :evil: also I know, at least for mass... if your boat doesnt have a 12 digit Hull Identification number on it (typically before 1972) then you have to have an epo assign one to it before you can even start TRYING to get a title for it (i know all this from experience from another boat i was going to fix up and it is just a royal pain, thats why the boat i have now is named "The coulda shoulda woulda") So just make sure you dot your legal i's and cross your paper-work t's before you go sinking a lot of money into the project just to find the friendly people down at your local registry shaking their head when you ask them for a registration number... otherwise you may end up with a reeeaaalllyyy neat lawn ornament. I dont mean to come off like a negative nancy, i would just hate to see someone make the mistakes I've already made :oops:

I been there also.See if this will help out, if you don't have paper work. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5285&hilit=title

Luckily titles for boats are worthless in Georgia. There is no HIN number on the boat. In this case the boat is considered older than a 1971. I've seen a few people go through this before and its easier to do in Georgia than in other states. Thanks for the heads up though.

Tonight was a fun night!! The fun task of drilling/cutting out rusted bolts and faulty patch jobs. Hopefully I can finish this, strengthen the transom and float test by monday.

I spent today patching the remaining holes, sanding old patch jobs, and sealing everything up. I ran out of rivets and have to get more in the morning.

100_1123.jpg

The left side is the brilliant patch job by the previous owner I have added a patch on the bottom and will also be putting one on the inside tomorrow

The holes/leaks are all fixed now. After I THOUGHT I got them all I found 3 more when I put some water in it. I ended up patching these cracks with silicone and riviting a molded piece of aluminum to the hull for protection. All three of the cracks were in the channels on the bow
100_1148.jpg

I also had about 4 leaking rivets. a little work with a hammer and some silicone and no more leaks. A little sanding with 220 grit and self etching primer for the bare spots and we are ready for paint.
100_1152.jpg

I managed to get one coat of paint on and I am going to try to get another on tonight or tomorrow.
100_1159.jpg

Latest posts