Trolling motor mount~help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaC40Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm BRAND new to this forum, but have done a fair bit of lurking! I'm a lifelong fan of aluminum boats, and cut my teeth on an old FeatherCraft. That boat is long gone, but I recently purchased a very used Crestliner (spring '08) and went to work on getting a motor, and doing some modifications. Anyhow, I ended-up buying a gently-used Minn Kota PD trolling motor and found myself doubting my first thoughts on how I should mount it. Hoping someone can offer some insight here! First off, the "dilemma" as I see it';

The bow of the boat sort of "sweeps-up", and isn't parallel to the water's surface. See drawing below. As far as I know, the trolling motor needs to be mounted about parallel TO the water's surface, give or take. So, whatever I end up using, need's to compensate for this. Yes..?? Issue#2~shaft length. Buying used, the choices can be limited. The one I got has a 55" shaft, longer than I need. No problem when deployed, but in the "up" position, will cut into the deck space somewhat unless I have the head of the motor overhanging the edge of the boat a bit. Mooring then becomes an issue, for obvious reasons. Issue#3 Navigation lights/position of motor base~As the boat isn't that large, I'd rather stick with the navigation lights where they are and NOT offset where the base of the trolling motor will sit. Room is limited though, and having it right on the nose of the boat seems to make the most sense. How have you guys dealt with this? It would seem to make the most sense (for boat control) if the shaft of the motor is hanging almost straight down from the very front edge of the boat.

Now, the drawing, and a few shots of my beloved!

BoatTrollingmotor.jpg

The bow, from the front;
BOAT5.jpg

The bow, from inside;
BOAT2-1.jpg

Sitting at the dock, where she spends a few weekends a year;
BoatKashagawigamogLake.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help/photos you can provide, I'll keep searching these forums for other solutions. Also, if anyone would like any more info. on what I've done to my boat, fire away!

Thanks,
C40

I did this, oh probably about a year and a half ago, on a boat I no longer have.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=334
Since you have so much slope, I probably would put a spacer of wood or aluminum on the back half of the top board, so that the top mount is level when resting on the gunwales. Then, run the bolts through to the clamps.

Keep 'em coming! Thanks for the tip, and the compliment...she's my baby.. :roll: A bit of background~I program a CNC router as a function of my job. (Industrial Designer for a store fixture/display company) So, access to excellent plastics, sheet goods including marine ply. is pretty good. Having said that, working on a boat was new to me, but pretty fun. It's become a labor of love, but I'm determined to NOT let it get cluttered with stuff it doesn't need. It's not that big, and I AM that big! lol

Since those photos were taken, I've added navigation lights front and back, as well as new console-mounted rod rack to replace the one pictured. That one was meant to hold fly rod tubes, the new one holds assembled spinning and fly rods. Here is what she looked like the day I paid for her;
DSC_0005.jpg

My modifications;
New steering wheel
Engine (obviously!)
New Yamaha controls
Driver's seat on custom polypropylene bracket
Plano dry box mounted to custom polypropylene bracket (on bench, behind/below seat)
Custom windscreen
Humminbird fish finder
Custom casting deck with hatch (marine ply./marine-grade carpet)
Seat base mounted into front deck (removable swivel seat)
Paddle on rubber mounts
Nav. lights.

LASTLY, the Minn Kota 65PD, 24V trolling motor. This baby requires 2 deep cycle batteries, and I don't want them under the front deck. I'm working on a custom deck in the rear that will hold the 2 of them closer to the port side. (opposite of my massive form, hopefully providing some balance! lol) I have an on-board charger, Minn Kota recessed female plug, Minn Kota quick disconnect bracket and Minn Kota circuit breaker to round it out. I can sort all of that out...I think..it's the front mount I need to decide on.

Again, thanks for the help guys, I do hope to hear from more of you. LOVE this site, so many cool ideas!

C40

Hey guys, saw a post recently where a member was doing this....what are the pro's/cons? Seems like a solid idea, but didn't know whether or not there would/could be any structural issues with the boat? Reinforcement would need to be a big factor I'd think...with or w/o a big old Yamaha on the back! :wink:

Digging up this thread again, looking for more insight. It occurred to me that I should have taken a few photos to illustrate what I'm talking about...but I haven't. :shock: Anyhow, I've started the front mount for the trolling motor and...while I know there is no totally "wrong" way to do it, I've opted to mount it right on the nose, and inline with the "gunnel" on the starboard side. (see the drawing at the top, deployed...the motor in that drawing will hang down perfectly vertical) Now, while running the gas motor, visibility will be as good as it can be..BUT, the shaft of the motor (when deployed) will not be perfectly vertical. The motor will be facing "up" about 12 degrees in my estimation. At 65 lbs. of thrust, I'm not too concerned about loss of power/efficiency...but am letting myself get really bothered by the fact that I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place in terms of options. So, if you're so inclined, have a look at what I see are the two options~pros/cons included;

1.Continue on this course because power loss is NOT an issue, and visibility when running at speed will be the best it can be. Downside#1~bow-mounted navigation lights have to be replaced by side/vertical lights..it's the law! ($75+ when the dust settles) Downside#2~anchoring/securing the anchor might be a bit of a pain. Tied at the front for fishing in swells...this trolling motor will feel like it's in the way. Also, I might have to add a spot to tie the anchor off. (hope that made sense)

2.Consider mounting it like AndrewR from this forum. Saw these photos in the another thread, hope he doesn't mind be re-posting them here;

may7-1.jpg

june1090.jpg

I think this solution is good too, by have a hunch it wouldn't address the concerns I have with my boat. Like most modern aluminum boats, the nose on his boat is inline with the sides...and does not "sweep" up like mine does.

So, I'm gripped with indecision, but probably going with option 1. If necessary, I may add shims beneath the trolling motor to alleviate some of the issues...but may run it (as it is being done now) and see how it works on the water.

Latest posts