side console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basebdude333

Reaction score
All the projects on this site are great, but few have a jon boat conversion to a side console. I'm convinced that I want to put one in unless someone gives me a really good reason not to. Anyway I wanted to know what the minimum horsepower I should use if I were to make a side console on a 14 foot boat. The boat is rated up to a 25HP, but would a 15 or 20 do fine. Also if anyone has any links to projects that have side consoles please post them. I don't have a boat or motor yet, but have found a 14 foot long 70 inch wide jon boat for sale. I plan on putting a front and back deck and a floor in between.

Thanks for your help.

I had my 16' MirrorCraft converted from a tiller to a side counsole years ago. It is not that difficult, juts plan to spend for all the control fittings and, cables and such

Doing a 14' will give you substantially less fishing room. I suggest buying a side console rather then trying to build one

I will see if i have any photos of the before I still have the boat sitting in my drive so the after pictures are easy :wink:

Thanks for the info, pictures would be nice. How many HP is your motor? What does the motor look like on the side where the tiller was removed?

The one good reason I would give is room. With a tiller the whole deck is basicly free and clear to fish from whereas with a console you have to do some serious water ballet at times fishing with a partner getting around. If you fish by yourself all of the time go for a console. If you fish with friends or family I would consider the tiller once more.

basebdude333 said:
Thanks for the info, pictures would be nice. How many HP is your motor? What does the motor look like on the side where the tiller was removed?

It is a 25 hp. The Motor was never set up with a tiller, the boat was made originally for a tiller style, but the motor I put on was a set up with all the cables

5guys_024.jpg

mander1_002.jpg

mander1_003.jpg

I understand why someone would rather have a console than a tiller.Have you considered a stick steer set up?It's more compact than a console and doesn't require sitting at an angle.A 15 to 20 HP will push your boat.If it's built light it may take a little longer to get up on plane.If it's heavy it may not plane at all.Here is a good tiller to stick steer conversion on a 12' jon boat.I belong to that site also. https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=280463

Latest posts