Tracker Transom Hollow & all Aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunk50

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been lurking for a while. Read a thread on a question that i am interested in also. I just bought a new Tracker 1754 and a new 60 hp Merc tiller. The thread I read was about the Tracker transom being double or what appears to be double on the inside and double on the outside with nothing in between. The marina i bought the boat from pre drilled it for me but I didn't notice it to ask a question. Just insert bolts and torque to 90#'s or do i have to have some kind of spacers. Anyone with experience with a tracker. Thanks Dunk

Welcome to the site.
Awesome boat and motor.
Sorry,I don't have any real good advise for you but rather another question for peoples.
Aren't the bolts only there to hold the motor from jumping off?
As long as the bolts are tight,not sure if they have to be torqued all that hard to dent the stern.Someone correct me,if I'm way off track.

You'll need spacers to keep from collapsing the double transom.Vibration from the motor will cause the bolts to wallow out the holes if there not supported.Over time the motor will start moving around on the transom and possibly damage it or crack it.

i was thinking of spacers but I do not understand how to or why I do it. I had the Marina I bought it at drill the holes in the transom. They used a a larger metal guide / template and drilled 1/2 inch holes. If the nuts and bolts are 1/2" there is no way to get a spacer in. 1/2" bolt and 1/2" holes = no spacers. Is it possible there is something inside like honey comb to prevent the collapse. This is a large marina and I assume they know what they are doing. Not questioning anyone but I just don't want to make a mistake. [-o<

I don't have experience with such like this, but I would think that Tracker planned for this when they built the boat. Obviously, they planned for a motor to be attached, and every modern motor attaches with bolts, so you should be fine torquing it to 90# as it is. Plus, even if it is a hollow double wall, I bet that it is pretty stout aluminum, as it will have to hold a 60 horse, so I would be surprised if it dents much, with 90 pounds. I would just go for it as is. Just double nut it, or use nylocs (or double nut it, with the second being nyloc :D ), and make sure you have large washers, or a backup aluminum plate on the inside (standard procedure for all motors).

I had a 2005 PT175 Tracker with a 50hp Merc hanging off the back. I never really thought about the hollow transom, and not sure if there were spacers/sleeves between the double transom where the bolts went through. I do know that there were large washers and some 3M 5200 Sealant used under the washers on the outside and inside of the engine mount bolt and nuts. Engine mount bolts had nylock nuts on them.

Jim said:
I would talk to the guys at the Marina and see what they have to say. I am curious about this myself.

Yep, that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. Thanks all, I will let you know what they say. :lol:

The transom is hollow on my boat as well.
I have had a 40hp and a current 30hp on it,with no spacers.As bassboy said,I also have a plate on the back(only plywood).I only have small(3/8)bolts going through,to hold the motor from jumping.Interested to hear what they have to say also.

flounderhead59 said:
dunk50 said:
Jim said:
I would talk to the guys at the Marina and see what they have to say. I am curious about this myself.

Yep, that's what I'm going to do tomorrow. Thanks all, I will let you know what they say. :lol:

And....???

Ditto on that. Still curious as to what they said. 8-[

I haven't posted because I have contacted tracker and dealer. Different answers. Tracker says transom is hollow and mount motor to #55 torque. Talked to Mercury dealer and he said #35 to #55. Talked to 2nd dealer and he said #90. The problem is the prop torques on to #55 and the person I talked to at Tracker didn't sound like she had a clue. With the holidays I just let it go for a while. Now I am going to call tracker back and try again. Can not find an e-mail address for tracker, the contact page just says contact your dealer. So now i am still unsure. I don't want to crush transom, don't want motor falling off and I am concerned because I did Max the boat out with 60HP tiller 4 stroke, Largest and heaviest for this boat. I would think it has to be right!!!!!!!!! :(

When I had an issue with my PT190TX I sent a letter via USPS and included my email address for them to reply to. Here is where I sent the letter and BTW, It worked.

Customer Relations Officer
Tracker Marine Corporation
2500 E. Kearney
Springfield, MO. 65803

If I'm not mistaken (though sometimes I can be) I got an email back from a Justin Maples ([email protected])

OK, I talked to a very knowledgeable Tech. at the Marina I bought the boat from. He told me that Tracker says #75 and Merc. for this boat has no hard and fast torque. He states that the Tracker transom is very solid and is re-enforced where the motor bolts on. He also gave me his method for mounting the motor to the transom and a lot of other useful information. Actually I just asked for the bolt torque specs and he spent a good 30 minutes talking with me and explaining in detail how to mount the motor.
In short sealing the bolt heads, using large washers on the inside and the important part!!! His shop snugs the bolts down and then uses and impact. They use the impact until the bolt is tight and then the sound of the impact changes. Anyone that has actually used an impact knows this sound and what it does. He says that this will tighten as much as possible without starting to crush the transom. I and he know it's not very scientific but it comes from experience. That's all I have learned and that's the way I am gong to do it absent Tracker or Mercury convincing me otherwise! :roll:

dunk50 said:
OK, I talked to a very knowledgeable Tech. at the Marina I bought the boat from. He told me that Tracker says #75 and Merc. for this boat has no hard and fast torque. He states that the Tracker transom is very solid and is re-enforced where the motor bolts on. He also gave me his method for mounting the motor to the transom and a lot of other useful information. Actually I just asked for the bolt torque specs and he spent a good 30 minutes talking with me and explaining in detail how to mount the motor.
In short sealing the bolt heads, using large washers on the inside and the important part!!! His shop snugs the bolts down and then uses and impact. They use the impact until the bolt is tight and then the sound of the impact changes. Anyone that has actually used an impact knows this sound and what it does. He says that this will tighten as much as possible without starting to crush the transom. I and he know it's not very scientific but it comes from experience. That's all I have learned and that's the way I am gong to do it absent Tracker or Mercury convincing me otherwise! :roll:

While I'm sure the transom is re-enforced where the main motor mounts, I'm pretty sure the rest is hollow and not so re-enfoced. Case in point: I had to put a small 6"x6" piece of place steel under where my kicker motor mount to keep from crushing the transom when tightening the motor mount hand tight. I know aluminum would have been better, but I didn't have any.

Waterwings said:
Glad you got a decent answer for someone who take the time to assist you. 8)

Just read you Signature "stats". Thanks for your service! :USA1:

And Thank you sir!

Latest posts