Newbie With Some Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny

Reaction score
How's it going guys,

First off, I wanna say I love the site, it's exciting seeing the potential my boat has by looking what all of you have done to your boats.

I was given a 10ft. Jon Boat from my girlfriend's uncle. He has another boat and this one has been sitting on the side of his house for a while now. No title.

Here are some pics:

100_1267.jpg

100_1268.jpg

100_1272.jpg

100_1273.jpg

I was fishing today and I tripped on something and it was this guy:

100_1271.jpg

Paper on it said free to a good home. Tried it out and it works perfect!!!

Now in the state of florida, how do I go about getting the boat tittled. It has no Hull numbers(HIN), I've looked all over the boat. I was wondering if the previous owner had registered it homemade. My g/f's uncle never registered and never tried to get the tittle. Should I get it tittled and registered homemade since I don't have a HIN anyway. I just would like to know what should I do because I can't put a motor on the boat unless it's registered.

Also it looks like the transom needs some work:

100_1270.jpg

100_1274.jpg

100_1269.jpg

Should I get the crack welded up and just replace the wood. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lenny

Yes weld the crack and no don't register it as a homebuilt.Your titling agency will either want pictures of the boat or will want to inspect it.Here's a thread I put together. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5285&hilit=title I would try to get it titled as an abandoned boat.Some one may know another way.Also check your titling agency's website.DNR does most but sometimes DMV does them.

Hi Lenny,
Nice project boat! What are you planning? :mrgreen:

Being a 10 footer your a little limited with decks and what not. Maybe a nice level floor and 2 pedstal seats?

I think you could be fine without welding it. Get a piece of 1/8 channel or so, that will cap the transom, and cut it to where it will go all the way across the transom, up to the gussets. Then, put a 3/16 pop rivet in it every 5 or 6 inches, on both the front and the back, and a few more on the top for good measure. Will be significantly stronger than welding it. Heck, 1/16 thickness would do dandy as well.

Jim said:
Hi Lenny,

Being a 10 footer your a little limited with decks and what not. Maybe a nice level floor and 2 pedstal seats?

That is the plan. Run electric for the trolling motor,fish finder,lights, Level Floor, Carpet, 2 Swivel Seats, Rod Holders, etc. etc. This site is giving me a boat load of ideas. (No pun intended) :lol:

Anybody can help me with tittleing the boat??? Kinda be a bummer having to row around and be able to a motor on the boat.

Lenny, I am kinda in the same boat (no pun intended) I have a boat and motor with no title. I think I am going to try to do the abandoned boat thing (I gots friends in low places)The bummer about that is the boat will haev to sit for a period of time before you can title it. Let me know if you come up with a better way.

BTW. Where abouts in FL are you?

rcgreat said:
Lenny, I am kinda in the same boat (no pun intended) I have a boat and motor with no title. I think I am going to try to do the abandoned boat thing (I gots friends in low places)The bummer about that is the boat will haev to sit for a period of time before you can title it. Let me know if you come up with a better way.

I'm in Kissimmee, south of Orlando. Do you know how long the boat would have to sit before being titled and how do you go about getting a title for an abandoned boat. I guess the same way you do it regularly. I heard on a another forum to just get it titled homemade, If not, it's going to be tough to get it done. I'm tempted, but I want to see if there is another way. My girlfriend's uncle said the boat's original owner has passed away, so he can't send a letter stating that he's abandoning the boat. It's kinda a bummer :(

At least you know that the boat was registered at one time from the numbers on the bow. I've had pretty good luck with the DMV here in Connecticut as long as you are patient. I would take some pics of the boat, or better yet, take the boat with you and head over to DMV. Tell them the truth about the boat, that it was registered but you aren't sure when it was and can they look it up. Also tell them that the person who had the boat gave it to your uncle without any paperwork before he died. You never know sometimes stuff isn't that hard. Just be nice, and tell them the truth, I bet it won't be that hard.

You have a nice boat there, please post pics of your progress.

Jim said:
Hi Lenny,

this holds true on the decking, dont go much higher then about 3 to 4 inches, she's done for the year and I dont have any finished off shots but heres a place to start.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4875

Lenny said:
rcgreat said:

I'm in Kissimmee, south of Orlando. Do you know how long the boat would have to sit before being titled and how do you go about getting a title for an abandoned boat. I guess the same way you do it regularly. I heard on a another forum to just get it titled homemade, If not, it's going to be tough to get it done. I'm tempted, but I want to see if there is another way. My girlfriend's uncle said the boat's original owner has passed away, so he can't send a letter stating that he's abandoning the boat. It's kinda a bummer :(

Find out if the boat is in the deceased persons name.Ask your local titling agency to look it up for you(Freedom of Information Act).Go to the proper office and get a death for the deceased owner,again this info falls under the Freedom of Info Act.It may cost $5 to $20 for the death certificate.Tell your agency that the boat was abandoned after the current titled owner passed away.They should have no issues with titling since you're bring proof with you.Most abandon boats require that a notorized letter be sent to the last registered owner,and then wait 30 to 45 days for a response.If no response,you maybe able to get a title.Some places require that an ad be placed in the local paper, where the boat was register, for 30 to 45 days.To find out what to do,contact your local titling agency,usually DNR or DMV.Just in case you are unaware,Florida is experiencing an explosion of abandon boats since the economy has collapsed.I am unsure if this will be a problem with obtaining an abandon boat title.be sure to inquire about this issue.

talk to DNR... they can do things for you that the DMV can't.

Tell them the whole story, 9 times out of 10 they can help you with it. Don't tell them DMV turned you down though.

Tell them you want to register for a HIN, then when the guy gets out there tell him the story... make them come to you and maybe they will help you out.. One other thing you might want to do is take the numbers off before he gets there - make sure you write them down just incase. that way he'll never know it had been registered and you can tell him it has been passed down in the family for years and it was never registered. If he asks what was there before tell him you don't know - it was given to you just like it sits.

Shady - but I've been able to get it done in GA and SC with no problems - just takes a little time, patience and commitment - never give up.. someone will give in one day and that's all you need.

I would think you should be able to fill out this FORM as well to apply for a title without registration.

sounds like the lady at DMV you talked do didn't wanna get off her fat arse and help you out.

here's the legal way to do it... but the guys family may want it back... doubtful though

What should the purchaser of a vessel do if he is unable to contact the titled owner to obtain the certificate of title or an executed bill of sale?

Notify the Bureau of Vessel Titles and Registrations in writing stating the existing problem and furnish the Florida registration number of the vessel. The Department will provide the name and address of the titled owner with the necessary instructions for transferring the ownership of the vessel.

Welcome to the site. That is a great project boat that looks in great shape. After you reinforce the transom you should be on your way to a greta boat. Good luck and can't wait to see pictures.

If you can get something a little bigger than 10', I think you'd be much more happy. I've got a 1236 - $350 for it and the trailer - and I wish I would have held out for a 14'er...

It's all up to you, and what you think you need versus what you want... but this really should be based on what you want because it will make you happier in the long run. You can probably get another boat and be on the water before you ever get this one titled.

You might be able to sell it to someone for $100-200 and just put that towards another boat...

Latest posts