best quick fix for a few leaky rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joho5

Reaction score
On the underside of my boat where the knee brace on the transom is riveted...it leaks a little bit. This is due to me replacing the transom and having to flex the brace a few times to get the new transom boards in the back. What is a good quality fix to put on these rivets to stop the leaking without re-riveting them? The brace is solid into place because its up against the new transom, but I wanted to seal the bottom.

thanks

just put some 5200 sealant around them...

one thing you might try is have someone hold a sledge hammer on one side of the rivet (or something heavy) and get on the other side and tap the rivet down to make a "better" seal. That worked for me, and then I put dabs of 5200 around it - no more leaks

I am wondering ir he removes the rivet then puts some 5200 sealant around the rivet hole and then rerivets it? I used the 5200 sealant when I did my aerator pumps and when that stuff dries it is solid.

russ010 said:
one thing you might try is have someone hold a sledge hammer on one side of the rivet (or something heavy) and get on the other side and tap the rivet down

Winner.....

You may not need any extra leak stopper after this. They don't dab any goo in the holes before they buck the rivets at the factory.

Quackrstackr said:
russ010 said:
one thing you might try is have someone hold a sledge hammer on one side of the rivet (or something heavy) and get on the other side and tap the rivet down

Winner.....

You may not need any extra leak stopper after this. They don't dab any goo in the holes before they buck the rivets at the factory.

the only reason I put the 5200 on afterwards was because I needed a quick fix and didn't have any rivets to redo it with... but it works like a charm - just be easy with the tapping, use a regular hammer and give it a few good pops - you don't have to drive it home on the first lick!

I FIX MINE WITH MARINE JB WELD AND KNOW I AM GOING SEAL THE BOTTOM WITH STEEL FLEX. JUST SAND REALLY GOOD ALL AROUND THE RIVET AND ON TOP. MIX ,APPLY AND BINGO HARD AN SEAL AS A ROCK.

russ010 said:
just put some 5200 sealant around them...

one thing you might try is have someone hold a sledge hammer on one side of the rivet (or something heavy) and get on the other side and tap the rivet down to make a "better" seal. That worked for me, and then I put dabs of 5200 around it - no more leaks

Once again,I agree with russo1o.If the rivets are loose the holes will eventually wallow out due to hull flex.Once this happens, it can be a real pain in the @$$.

Latest posts