Rig Rebuild - FINISHED

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

Reaction score
Hi all: Started the rebuild of my rig and have put all the purchase issue aside. I'll make it right myself and screw the place I bough it from. Anyway, I started this before it got cold. Outside work is out of the question now for me, so I decided to take the trailer apart and attempt to get it in the basement. It's inside now and I can do the fabricating I need to and fit everything over the winter, then take it out in spring and paint/assemble it. That will save vauable fishing time in spring.
I purchased a new Dexter axle assemble to replace the old one, which was rusted out and plain junk. I need to space the fenders out from the frame now becuae Dexter said that my originals dimensions did meet the minimum needed for clearance. Not a big deal. As you can see the picture I made some wood spacers to cheack what I'd need and now have to decide what to make the perminent ones from. I was thinking about using square steel tubing. I need to make new bunks, install nre rollers, and fabricate new side guides. I plan on putting a set of LED lights on also. I think I'm goin to mount them at the base of the guides on each side. That will put them the the actual rear of the trailer and they will be unobstructed. Not sure yet what route I want to take for painting. I'm bouncing back and forth between inexspensive flat black spray cans and farm inpliment applied with a spray gun/compressor.
This is my start:
PC120002.jpg

Captain Ahab said:
Where are you located - if you say someplace in the South - - errrrr! TOO COLD???

Looks good so far :D

I live in souheast PA. Way too cold way to fast here. Today isn't bad but that's only because the warm southern air brought with it a bunch of rain. Supposed to go back to cold again. I was born in the wrong climate!

ben2go said:
Lookin good.I really hate to hear you got the shaft by the place that sold you the boat.

Can't say that it's not a big deal because it was. I'm not getting back into that. It is a hopeless cause and now I'm in "fix it up" mode.

LarryA said:
ben2go said:
Lookin good.I really hate to hear you got the shaft by the place that sold you the boat.

Can't say that it's not a big deal because it was. I'm not getting back into that. It is a hopeless cause and now I'm in "fix it up" mode.

Good thinking.Charge ahead and don't look back. =D>

If you leave the wood spacers, be sure to seal them heavily or paint/poly them, end grains 2-3X more than than other sides. Where do you fish locally? There are a bunch of southeastern PA members, including myself. Us boatless are always looking for local boaters to take us from shore, we are always willing to chip in for gas/boating costs :D

We need to have a SE PA get together somewhere. Maybe Marsh Creek or somewhere like that where we could get the boaters and non boaters together for some fishing fun. I have a boat, but at present I am limited to electric only.

jkbirocz said:
If you leave the wood spacers, be sure to seal them heavily or paint/poly them, end grains 2-3X more than than other sides. Where do you fish locally? There are a bunch of southeastern PA members, including myself. Us boatless are always looking for local boaters to take us from shore, we are always willing to chip in for gas/boating costs :D

As for the wood blocks, the are gone and spacers were made from steel blocks. I want something that will not fail should someone decide the fenders are steps to climb into the boat while it's on the trailer. The wood surely would not take that amount of strain. I have the undersides of the fenders supported also with L shaped steel pieces. The next step is to come up with a method of fabricating side guide-ons that will be fairly solid. The ones that were on the trailer worked but were really flimsy.
The trailer is slowly coming along but the funds just went bye-bye due to personal reasons. I suppose I'll start taking the old paint off what I haven't already until I can actually buy some of what I need to get started back up again.

As for where I fish:
I'm from Berk's County, PA and fish the Sck. River, Kerchner Creek Dam in Hamburg (not sure of spelling), and i started fishing Blue Marsh. Blue Marsh has changed immensely since I fished it many years ago. Spots I fished are no longer even there, in that the structure has filled in or the spot just can't be found. The lake has aged and nothing even looks the same. I had some results but nothing to really speak about. A few small largemouth, one small channel, a small stripper, and a carp.
I had the best results with chicken liver bottom fishing and nightcrawlers for casting toward shore. I'd like to hook into a nice stripper and/or a large channel but so far they have eluded me. I also haven't caught and walleye, I used to catch quite a few of those.

Did some more work on thr ytailer today. Got the fenders cleaned up and primed them and the rest of the rear frame section. So far, things are looking and going well. Ill wait for anymore pictures until I have something to show that is in mock up assembly. Winter sucks, I'm already ready for spring and summer to get back!

larry,, take it fer what ya want,, however I have never hadda rattle can paint job stay on any of my boat trailers...
fire that ol compressor up and do it rite and ya wont hafta do it fer a long time ever again...

JAKE

CRAPPIEDENTIST said:
larry,, take it fer what ya want,, however I have never hadda rattle can paint job stay on any of my boat trailers...
fire that ol compressor up and do it rite and ya wont hafta do it fer a long time ever again...

JAKE

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was doing some web checking and I'm leaning toward painting the trailer with farm implement paint. At about $30-$40 a gallon, it isn't expensive (as paint goes) and should last. I might go with an International Red for color. I was thinking white but I'm afraid that would get pretty scuzzy looking real quick. There's a Tractor Supply store about 15 minutes away. I'll have to go check out what they have.

My favorite paint ta spray is the ANCHOR Paint 500 series, oil base, comes in a lotta colors sprays lik a dream,, I put hardener in it and it comes out with a real nice shine...

JAKE

Making some progress onth trailer. I have some time but funds are drained so getting done what I can without too much expense. I know the picture doesn't show much. I'm really cramped for space but it beats the outside weather. Once everything gets done it all comes apart again to await reassembly and paint outside.
Here's what's done so far:

PC290007.jpg

Larry, that is going to be one nice looking trailer when it's all said and done. I don't have a basement, no overhead doors on a 40' x 75' shop, and the garage is packed with my old '98 Chevy. I've thought about getting a drywall dolly and bringing my boat into my living room. I ran my wife (ex) off almost three years ago and nothing is stopping me from doing just that. But I have a feeling, I'd have to replace the carpet in the living room if I did.

I made some real good progress over the holidays. I did some painting on brackets and even the mounting hardware (I'd like it to resist rust at least awhile). I decided to try Rust-Oleum paint for the trailer. The hardware store has some overstock at a good price. I'll thin it as the can states using 5% Mineral Spirits and spray with my compressor and gun. I had decided on a red shade and ordered some Burgundy bunk padding and, by luck, the sale paint was Burgundy also. I figure first I'll try painting a few small pieces before I put any on the frame. That way if I don't like something I have less to strip down again.
The bunks were made from regular 2x4s with 2 coats of waterproofing and a light coat of flat black to cover the white wood. My mounting to the old brackets is being done by adding some aluminum angle wedges between the bunks and brackets. Holes were drilled at the same angle and carriage bolts were placed below the bunk surface then filled over with body putty.
Hopefully, I'll end up with a Burgundy trailer and bunks with black hardware / rollers.

I'd like to fabricate some side guides. My idea is to replace the above pictured fender spacing blocks with a piece of 1-1/2" square tubing then coming up at the proper angle and height. After that attach two small bunks to center the boat on the trailer. I figure I'll need about 8 feet of tubing and I'll have the same bunk padding to do the sides. This will allow me to have my require fender spacing and the side guides without attaching anything more to the frame.

That's looking really good, Larry! 8)

I'd like to fabricate some side guides. My idea is to replace the above pictured fender spacing blocks with a piece of 1-1/2" square tubing then coming up at the proper angle and height. After that attach two small bunks to center the boat on the trailer.

Checkout Codeman's guides he made! (7th post down in the link below)

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5810&start=30

Waterwings said:
That's looking really good, Larry! 8)

I'd like to fabricate some side guides. My idea is to replace the above pictured fender spacing blocks with a piece of 1-1/2" square tubing then coming up at the proper angle and height. After that attach two small bunks to center the boat on the trailer.

Checkout Codeman's guides he made! (7th post down in the link below)

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5810&start=30

yeah that's kind of what I have in mind but not nearly that long. I'm thinking the two uprights can go where I have to space out the fenders.

yeah that's kind of what I have in mind but not nearly that long. I'm thinking the two uprights can go where I have to space out the fenders.

That's an idea also. Depending on where you place the guide uprights (distance between them front to back), would the angle of the guide posts hit/touch the fenders ? Just thinking out loud.

Latest posts