Now this is a tin boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
This was posted over on the wooden boat forum.I know it's not a forum for tin boats but it will be a historical boat I bet.It's a, huge to most, aluminum firefighting boat and the thread shows in great detail how things go together like a jig saw puzzle.Follow along.It's educational. :mrgreen:

https://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75667

I should mention that you don't need to be a member to view the thread.

fireboatplan.jpg

fireboatprofile.jpg

That's awesome! We build the Coast Guard rollover boats where I work, That you see on TV all the time. That boat looks very simular.

We just completed a 170' with 4 turbine engines, but it's for military use and they won't release the pictures.

Boy, those pictures sure make me giddy. :D :D

Can't wait to start mine, even though it is slightly smaller. Something about aluminum..... Can be formed into almost anything, is very easily workable, forgiving, durable etc. Ain't that just a beautiful craft....

welder said:
It's actually called a PLATE boat. :wink:

The tinnies go up to 3/16" and the Platies are 3/16" and over .

Yes, but it's still an aluminum boat, and the title for this site is"The Original Aluminum Boat Site".

Thanks for the post Ben2go!! I spent a while on their reading all of the posts. That dude knows his stuff!!

Yes it's a alloy boat and what I was trying to tell y'all is that it's a Plate alloy boat like my Pacific 2325, there is no Tin or sheet metal in this hull . Most of these bad boys are built with 5086 Marine Grade Aluminum which is almost considered armor plate [ Read, Really tough stuff ].

The fireboat begins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JimD - just a normal construction-site laser level. Set it up on a tripod and level it to the bubble levels on the laser head case and it projects a laser line on the surrounding area. Or did you mean the laser for the laser-cut plates? If so, go here https://www.teskolaser.com/tips.html for some good info.

Gary E - the plate is mostly between 5/32" and 1/4" thick, with the keel 3/4" thick and ice strengthening plates ranging between 3/8" and 1/2", depending on location on the hull.

Cap'n Jake, the boat is for the Portland, Maine fire department.

Latest posts