Any good ideas on building dry storage on castingdecks?????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky.jonboatfisher

Reaction score
I need some good ideas on building dry storage compartments for tackel and various items on the front and back casting deck like if i need a liner or anything that would make it better on my 15 ft alumacraft jon. also if you built compartments on your boat please post pics of them so i can kind of get an idea.

yazoocarpet023.jpg

Learn from my mistakes here.

As you can see, the tackle hatch (skinny hatch on port side) is supported on the hinge, and then it rests on one side. Now, while I have no structural problems, all the water that hits the top of that lid drains into the hatch.

Here is what I should have done.
(Stole this picture from a restore thread on the BBC)
champhatches.jpg

See how those hatches have a lip around them, and then the hatch closes over the lip (no bottom panel on hatch)? All the water that drains off the lid then drains into the channels, and to the deck, and eventually the bilge.

Here is how Tracker does some of the smaller hatches. They merely have the lip of the liner end up higher than the place where the hatch rests.
trackerhatch2.jpg

Here is how Tracker does the larger hatches.
trackerhatch.jpg

I am not crazy about the drain tube, especially running through the hatch - would prefer to see the hatches designed so it channels to the deck better, and does not need extra drains and gobbledegoop.

Also, don't put carpet in your hatches (rod locker maybe). I would say not to make the actual hatch water proof, as it can fill up, with condensation, and might mildew, as it has no ventilation.