Primer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wo show

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Well I've got my boat down to bare metal and have been looking for Self etching primer. I can only find it in a spray can. I really wanted to roll it on, I will be rolling on the paint, not the best way but I don't have a gun, and spray cans won't give me the finish I'm after. Are you guys all using spray cans? Any idea where to get it in a larger can to roll it on? Thanks in advance.

I rolled on zinc chromate.. then sprayed on the poly paint. I got the primer at Boater's World. They are pretty pricey on some things, but I got the paint while they had it on sale/clearance. If you put on a couple of layers of spray etching you won't be able to tell the difference in the end result. Thin layers of the paint with light wetsanding in between coats will hide any blemishes. But if you do spray the etching - it can be costly.

A lot of people are using steelflex epoxy for the bottom and various paint type for sides and insides. Here's the link for steelflex epoxy https://www.fascoepoxies.com and a real good single component paint for sides etc is called easypoxy by Pettit Paints https://www.pettitpaint.com. Pettit Paint has all your paint needs from the entire hull to just bottom and more. Another paint people have used on this site is the Marine Paint by Rustoleum. If you have a local Pittsburgh Paint store near you, they sell industrial paint made by Ameron Coatings that is made for hulls and water storage tanks that is awesome, it's called Amercoat 2.
Once I get a clear spot in my garage I'm probably going with the steelflex on bottom and Pettit on rest. Although the Amercoat 2 can be used all over (bottom and top).
The rattle can method can get expensive although a sprayed method generally does the best job on application. Reason being, it will get paint in areas where a roller brush may not. It's very important, especially on the bottom of the boat, to have the entire surface coated. Any spots where there is bare metal and no paint will let water get in behind your paint job and eventually it will cause paint failure. But don't be scared this may take quite some time.
Didn't mean to get technical w/ya it's just part of my job leaking over into my personal life. I manage an architectural/industrial paint store in Little Rock, AR and basically from house to steel structures to boats, application is all the same-make sure you don't leave any exposed areas.
Hope this helps.
If I didn't insert the website address correctly then just copy and paste onto your web browser

I didn't take the boat down to bare aluminum but I did have quite a few big spots that were bare. I found self etching primer in the automotive section at wally-world for under $5 a can. So far it is working fine could get pricey for the entire hull.

I bought my self-etching spray primer at AutoZone. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't too bad... I just checked online: $5.99 a can.

wo show said:
How many spray cans did it take to do the boat?

I only used 4 cans, but I only painted about 1/2 of my 14' boat. Mine was an old bare metal to begin with, and I only painted as an afterthought, so it didn't get paint under carpet, and I didn't paint the bottom of the hull. Had I decided to paint at the beginning, I probably would have done it all. you can see mine here: https://theminnowbucket.weebly.com

Great boat Henry! Thanks for all the details this will help with my winter project. I had the same idea with the teeth. How long ago did you do this? How are the teeth/mouth holding up? Do you have to touch up occasionally? What type of green paint did you use on the hull?

who pooted? said:
Great boat Henry! Thanks for all the details this will help with my winter project. I had the same idea with the teeth. How long ago did you do this? How are the teeth/mouth holding up? Do you have to touch up occasionally? What type of green paint did you use on the hull?

Most of the floor/seat work was done in 2006, if my rememberer is working today, but the paint was done this spring, 2008. After the self-etching primer, I found some paint at Home Depot labeled "camouflage". I THINK it was Rustoleum brand. I wasn't looking for shine, so this seemed the way to go. The teeth came later this summer, so I haven't had to do any touching up yet.

Latest posts