For all you V-bottom boaters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You talking about the boat spinning around when using the bow mount troller? Well, in the long run, I sold it, and bought a bigger flatbottom that weighs about 4 times as much. In the short run, I made a simple rudder that clamped to the transom. Basically, it consisted of a piece of 3/4 inch ply that goes flat against the transom, and then I had a piece that was screwed 90 degrees to that, which hung down below the transom, with a gusset on each side. Clamped it to the transom with C clamps.

That not what Im talking about. I will try to be clearer. Last time I was in a aluminum V-hull (12ft 36" beam 7.5 hp outboard) many years ago with two people fishing. Up on plane the boat would hook real bad almost throwing you out of the boat if you were not holding on. We tried moving gear around, tilting motor, etc and nothing seemed to help. Eventually the boat was sold. Now I'm looking to get another boat and I'm scared to go thru that again especially now that my kids could possibly be in the boat. So Im thinking that I should stick with a flat bottom even though it seems that V-hulls are more common in my area.

Im sorry for my first being so vague.....please forgive me :)

Not the norm. In fact, the only time I have ever heard of that happening, outside of racing situations is in bass rockets, which can almost be considered racing in and of themselves.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe it was the boat itself. I'm thinking that with the boat only being 12' in length that it reacted too quickly to conditions. I'm guessing this because of knowing how smaller width and wheelbase vehicles react to steering as compared to larger ones. Even a little steering will have a much greater effect on a smaller boat than the same amount will on a larger.
I could be wrong here bur it seems to make sense to me.

Doubt it has to do with the size. I have had 2 12 footers, with differing widths, and none tried this crap. Heck, I have seen a 12 footer with a 40 Evinrude, without that problem. Occasionally, bass rockets, which ride on pad, will bow hook, but it has to do with the fact that they are 20 feet long, running at 70+ mph on a pad less than 18 inches square. Certain water conditions will do it, but even then it is very uncommon, and doesn't happen to most guys with them.

My guess is the boat that you had was damaged in some way, likely with a hull hook, which caused it to ride stupid.

Latest posts