Wintertime running question......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evattman

Reaction score
As of right now, I'm getting to run my boat about every 2 weeks.I try to take it out every week, but this past month it was all I could do due to the weather. My question is.....is that enough run time to prevent anything from "gunking" up? I took it out today and it started and ran fine and I was on the lake for a couple of hours.(it maybe took a couple of extra pulls at 1st) I just got to thinking..."I hope I'm running it enough".
I hope so, I dont want to have to winter-ize it because I want to fish every now and then.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yep, that is fine. The winter isn't really what is going to gunk it up, but the fuel. Especially with this new Ethanol fuel, you are going to want to run it at least once every 25 - 30 days. Only real difference you need to make for wintertime running versus summertime running is to change your gear lube before the first freeze, so that you remove any water that may have gotten in there and could freeze, and allow the motor a bit more warm up time each time you start it. I usually idle around in gear for 3 or 4 minutes before opening her up, to make sure it has reached a good operating temperature. When you store it between uses, keep it tilted down so that water can't collect in the exhaust tube, and that whatever is in the block will drain. Some people, myself included, bump start the motor, with the kill switch off, at the ramp, to drain the last bit out, although it should drain just with gravity.

Also, if you are still concerned about the fuel, put stabil in it. In fact, stabil has recently come out with a new formula for the ethanol fuel.

You should be fine. if you plan to (or have to) leave the boat sit for more then a few weeks make sure that your fuel is out of the carps (if if has a carburetor). Your main concern is the fuel turning to lacquer and gumming up the works. As you finish for the day run the carb dry

When you store the boat make sure you level your engine to allow water to drain

Use fresh gas on your next trip.

You might also want to fog the engine to prevent the cylinders from getting corrosion

So long as you keep up with maintenance you should not really have to do much else

I put Stabil in the tank every time I fill up or top off. I would like to go a couple times a week but things happen and some times it has to sit around a while. I do that with all my gas powered stuff. If I dont take the boat out for a month, I pump out some gas for weedeater gas and put in fresh.

Sccamper, running boat fuel in the weedeater/chainsaw is not necessarily the best idea. You see, the air cooled weedeater will run hotter than the water cooled outboard. They are designed to do that. Thus, most TC-W3 oil is not designed to be run in air cooled motors. While brand of oil usually matters not, types should be kept separate, for their correct uses.

Latest posts