trolling motor loading

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Thinking of taking the outboard off and just using the electric for the winter.To cold on the face when tempetures are at freezing.
Alot of times it's blowing real hard when it's time to load up and I was wondering how hard it is going to be to load the boat with just the trolling motor?
Any advise here,I normally only have just a bit of the bunks showing and power load up.I imagine I'll have to submerge them more or maybe have a rope attached to the truck to pull myself up,towards the winch.
I'm trying to stay off the walking on the trailer and out of the water as it's getting chilly.

I load at the same depth as I do with the outboard. The winch won't load it correctly if I don't. I just lift the bow mount up, and holding up at the surface of the water with the pull rope, I use the foot pedal to guide me onto the trailer, making sure to hold the prop above the crossbars. When the boat hits the bunks, I step out onto the front of the bunk (the front 2 feet stay dry). Then, I hook up the winch, and step onto the ramp (it is at same spot as winch post) and I winch it the rest of the way up.

If I back deeper, the bow ends up under the bow stop, so I would have to winch it to within 6 inches of the stop, then pull out a couple feet to winch the rest. There is a reason I load at that depth with the outboard - boat loads best there - has nothing to do with the motor.

I dont think the TM will power you up. If you had a rope at the end of the bunk thats tied to the tongue, you could grab the rope and pull your self up. I pull the boat up with the winch. I have knee high rubber boots, push the boat off the bank and hold a 25' rope, drag it on the trailer while standing at the back of truck. Use the winch to pull it up the rest of the way.

If I'm lucky (no major wind/wave action), I can tm the boat straight onto the trailer (have used rear & front tm's to do it), but always end up winching it up to the bow stop. I've added non-skid strips to the trailer (fwd & aft of the winch post) to walk on and hopefully not have to get the feet wet. There have been [many] times where mother nature has not worked with me and I've been up to my crotch in the water manually loading the boat onto the trailer. :shock:

Latest posts