Bow mount trolling motor installation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyman

Reaction score
I just got my new Jon boat, it has a pre built plywood deck & carpet (scroll down)
seen here: https://shop3.genesis-ec.com/search/item.asp?shopcd=17336&item=P00253

(in case your wondering, i'm retired from the navy, living in japan)
I bought a motor guide fw-46 bow mount trolling motor, along with the quick release mount.
the directions are pretty straight forward to understand.
Whats confusing me is where on the bow does it need to be.
is there a "rule of thumb" at what angle it needs to be mounted at?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Welcome Stoneyman.

I would mount it to one side or the other, that will leave run for you to walk on and off the bow. Mount it back far enough so that the blade doesnt stick out past the bow and be able to hit a dock.

:WELCOME:
Thanks for joining! :USA1:

I would also mount it off to one side or another. Those trolling motors are big units, and on Jons the space is valuable. The more out of the way it is the better in my opinion.

It must be awesome living there with all the fancy fishing equipment you can get your hands on. How is the Fishing?

I agree with Sccamper... mount it off to one side. Set it to where you think it should go, then get in the boat and pretend you are fishing while using the foot control - this will save you the headache of moving it again incase it won't rest right in the traveling position. I've got a 12' and I put mine off the the left - this gives me room in the middle to step on and I usually fish to the left side of the boat so I always have it in my vision when I'm casting

I would tend to think that you need the motor on the center line or as close as you can get it.
you can place the mount on an angle to keep the center of you deck clear.
I Think that if your motor is ff to the side it will make it harder to control the boat

Wayne

redbug said:
I would tend to think that you need the motor on the center line or as close as you can get it.
you can place the mount on an angle to keep the center of you deck clear.
I Think that if your motor is ff to the side it will make it harder to control the boat

Wayne
Not to be contradictory (well, okay, maybe I am being such), but unless you are fishing swift rivers, it really matters not, at least as far as jons go. Mine is off to the side without a problem at all, and I will be moving it further out fairly soon here, so the prop wont keep hitting the deck, if I hit the button with it stowed. Being that it is the push pull cable steer motor, like yours is, you don't notice at all the angled pull. I think there are a few others here who have it mounted off to the side, and have no issues with it as well.

Mines on the side of the bow and have no problems. Ive got one on stern off to the side also, no problems. I dont fish with alot of current, wind isnt a factor.

As others have said, off to one side or the other.

I have had multiple jons with that setup and all of them steered just the same as the boats that I have had driven from the center.

Thanks for all the support guys!
Sounds like it will be pretty straight fwd to install.
This my first Jon Boat.
The japanese kinda forced me to get it after being chased off the lakes using rafts.
(they don't like rubber rafts or kickboats)
Some lakes here will only allow the use of real boats.
The fishing here is ok but nothing specteculiar, like we have back home.
The tackle stores here are out of this world! :shock:
You can find just about anything here. I saw a Fenwick "Super Techna Rod" for like Y79,000.
a Megabass rod was like Y89,000. :shock:
The same trolling motor here would have set me back Y100,000. :shock:
luckly i got it from basspro for $339. :)

Again, thanks to everyone for your help!
Happy & safe Holidays to all! :D

stoneyman said:
Thanks for all the support guys!
Sounds like it will be pretty straight fwd to install.
This my first Jon Boat.
The japanese kinda forced me to get it after being chased off the lakes using rafts.
(they don't like rubber rafts or kickboats)
Some lakes here will only allow the use of real boats.
The fishing here is ok but nothing specteculiar, like we have back home.
The tackle stores here are out of this world! :shock:
You can find just about anything here. I saw a Fenwick "Super Techna Rod" for like Y79,000.
a Megabass rod was like Y89,000. :shock:
The same trolling motor here would have set me back Y100,000. :shock:
luckly i got it from basspro for $339. :)

Again, thanks to everyone for your help!
Happy & safe Holidays to all! :D

Same to you my friend.

I will contact you when I am looking for that special Megabass lure that I can not find in the States. :wink:

So how do the Japanese costs compare to the American ones? I don't have a clue as to the exchange rate of US dollars to.... uh.... whatever those are.

I would like to get my hands on some of the real Japanese made Daiwas. :D

Ah, just messin' with y'all.

I think the Japanese Yen... well, 100,000Y is about equivalent to $1,100US... I might be wrong, but I know it's ridiculous

Live rates at 2008.12.23 15:16:13 UTC
1,100.00 USD = 99,312.31 JPY
United States Dollars Japan Yen
1 USD = 90.2839 JPY 1 JPY = 0.0110762 USD

Latest posts