Boat title in pa..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

Reaction score
Hi jirwin6985: Here is a link to the PA Boat Commision web page ( https://www.fish.state.pa.us/regs_boat.htm ).
Uner the FAQs for Registration and Titling, it states (in part) the following:

"TITLING

Any boat purchased, transferred or sold, must be titled if the boat is:

Powered by an inboard motor, including personal watercraft, 1997 model year or newer.
Powered by an outboard motor, 14 feet or longer, 1997 model year or newer.
Currently titled in Pennsylvania.
Currently titled in another state when Pennsylvania becomes the state of primary use.
Once a boat is titled, it must remain titled by all future owners.

Any boat can be voluntarily titled. Boat titling assures the buyer of a boat that the seller has clear ownership of a boat offered for sale. Some lenders won’t finance a boat without a title, so securing a loan to purchase a boat may be easier if the boat is titled. Titling is also a deterrent to boat theft. Boat dealers and other purchasers are more certain that someone offering a boat for sale has the legal right to do so."

Hope this helps.

Get something from the guy saying he gave it to you, or a written bill of sale. Even if it just for a few bucks. Look for a vin# and see if there is anyway of finding out anything about the boat.(stolen)
I didn't have any paper work for my trailer and the vin# plate was worn away from saltwater. I took it up to the state police and they issued me a new number that I had to bring back to the DMV.
Also if you are getting the boat in PA there will have to be some kind of notary done at the time of transfer.