My Boat / Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtaff

Reaction score
Well I am new here and I am starting a boat project. My dad finally gave me his boat that has been sitting for years. Well I have taken the seats off and I am going to replace them. I am also fixing to replace the board in the transome. I do wonder how thick that should be? Any way here are some pics of where I am starting. As you can see there are rivots in the transome that I am thinking of cutting out with my dimmel tool I just got. My big question would be what to replace those rivets with? I was thinking with silicone coated nuts and bolts. What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• full boat.jpg
    full boat.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 731
  • motor on transome.jpg
    motor on transome.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 732
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 731
  • Middle brace.jpg
    Middle brace.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 731
  • Middle brace.jpg
    Middle brace.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 731
  • Left brace.jpg
    Left brace.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 731
Great project.I would use stainless steel bolts,flat washers,and lock nuts.I would run a bead of 3M 5200 marine sealant around the holes before installing the bolts.The hardware and sealant can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot.Ace Hardware maybe cheaper on the stainless steel hardware,if you have one in your area.

Since that is a small boat, that (I presume) won't be used in salt, or stored in a marina (shore power there causes corrosion problems) I would probably skip the stainless. You need to decide for yourself as to whether it is worth it, but I would advise that you wait and decide when you are looking at the prices of each. I opted for stainless with my last one, as I love salt water, but gawly, it is expensive.

For sealant, you can't beat the outcome of 3M 5200, but I have found that for some things, the silicone is significantly easier to work with. Really a personal decision there.

As for the thickness of the transom, make it the same as what is there. If it is over 3/4, just attach 2 pieces together. 1 inch, just use 2 pieces of 1/2, and so on.

ben2go, I am surprised that you say that the Ace stainless is cheaper than Lowes/Home Depot. Normally, it is more expensive, but the convenience factor is nice (3 minutes away, as opposed to 10 or more). I will have to check that next time I am in there.

Good luck on your boat. You will certainly catch many fish out of that rig.

All of that makes sense. I will see how it goes. I will need to get my lumber from like lowes or something since we do not have a good lumber store here in town. Thanks for all the good words

bassboy1 said:
ben2go, I am surprised that you say that the Ace stainless is cheaper than Lowes/Home Depot. Normally, it is more expensive, but the convenience factor is nice (3 minutes away, as opposed to 10 or more). I will have to check that next time I am in there.

I drive 20 minutes to any hardware store so the drive isn't a factor.The Ace I go to is independently owned and specializes in hardware.I think they have a local supplier and that helps reduce costs.At least it did when I worked at an auto parts store.

ben2go said:
Great project.I would use stainless steel bolts,flat washers,and lock nuts.I would run a bead of 3M 5200 marine sealant around the holes before installing the bolts.The hardware and sealant can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot.Ace Hardware maybe cheaper on the stainless steel hardware,if you have one in your area.

Great advice

Most of your smaller locally owed hardware stores are going to be less expensive then the big box stores - especially on items such as nuts and bolts etc. My family owns a hardware store and we are 1/3 less then home Cheapo on all of the fastening hardware

Plus - we sell it all loose - so if you need one screw - you can buy one screw :D

Jim said:
Looks like a great project.

What are you think of doing to it besides replace the worn parts? Maybe put in a floor? Some storage space? Deck?
Thinking of flooring or decking not sure yet. There was some sort of flooring in it. They just laid like a 3/4 plywood covered in outdoor carpet in the bottom. It seemed to do pretty good. I am not sure about storage or not. I did see where some on here put storage in like the center seat so that may be a possibility. Who knows. I am thinking about putting in pedestal seats but not sure how high if needed at all

I would put a floor back in and pedestal seats high enough where your legs up to your knees are parallel to the floor. That to me is all day comfort with the ability to quickly stand up and stretch your legs.

I went to find the 3M5200 caulk. I looked for it at Lowes. Not sure where to find it. I did get the a water proof caulk though is that good enough

gtaff said:
I went to find the 3M5200 caulk. I looked for it at Lowes. Not sure where to find it. I did get the a water proof caulk though is that good enough

If you have a Walmart, look in the boat section of sporting goods dept. Ours stocks it by the marine lube, boat wash, etc. shelf.

If you are going to stick with rivets, I have some new ones left over from my last project. It is not hard at all to replace them. Just drop me a line if you are interested.
Sammy

gtaff said:

I found it in the caulking section of the painting supplies.Not sure about the water proof caulk.It will need to be extremely flexible.

I can not find that sealant. I did find something similar that is for fixtures and such. Would that work? It is called something 7200

Waterwings said:
Plus - we sell it all loose - so if you need one screw - you can buy one screw

That's the way to do it! :) . I hate it when I go to buy nuts and bolts, and you get 4 bolts in one package, but only 3 nuts in the other package.
the ace buy me i sells them lossely

Latest posts