Loading a 12ft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FR0G

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I recently got a free 12 foot Starcraft v aluminum boat and want to know if any of you have any tricks to load it into the back of a pickup by yourself. I have no problems unloading it, but its the loading it after I am done fishing part that I am having troubles with. It is embarrassing asking the rangers to help me load up my boat. Once I get the rear of the boat in, it is easy to push the rest in, but its just lifting the rear of the boat up that is killing me. Any tips?

Welcome aboard

Other then the obvious (ie park next to something raised up, picnic table, steps, hill) and using a ramp nothing pops to mind

Maybe get a small trailer and not have to worry about it?

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining.

Same issue I had with my basshunter...It was just too heavy to handle by myself. Especially after being in the water all day long it would soak up some water making it even heavier.

Swallow your pride and ask for help, I would. Or look for a nice cheap used trailer.

What about using boards as ramps, put a L bracket on one end to slip between the tailgate and bed so they dont slip. Kind of like we used to use for lawnmower ramps.

sccamper said:
What about using boards as ramps, put a L bracket on one end to slip between the tailgate and bed so they dont slip. Kind of like we used to use for lawnmower ramps.

Good idea,and maybe put those slippery guide on bunks so it slides up easier?

The ramp idea wold work. Maybe you could take a 2 x 4, mount a wheel on it then cut the other end to wedge in the handles(if it has them) on the transom and roll it right up on the ramps. Welcome aboard, and great score on the free boat.

i load my boat in the bed, then load the motors and gear in, unload at the dock. and the same process again when loading to go home. its a real pain

i usually unload the gear and motors, back my truck up to the boat and lift the back of the boat just getting 1 edge of the rear on the tailgate. after thats up there i go to the other side, shove the rear of the boat all the way on the tailgatge then go to the front and push'r in

Loggerhead Mike said:
i load my boat in the bed, then load the motors and gear in, unload at the dock. and the same process again when loading to go home. its a real pain

i usually unload the gear and motors, back my truck up to the boat and lift the back of the boat just getting 1 edge of the rear on the tailgate. after thats up there i go to the other side, shove the rear of the boat all the way on the tailgatge then go to the front and push'r in

This is basically the technique I used when I had my 12ft jonboat. Sometimes its a PITA to get that rear corner onto the tailgate, but once you do, you've got it made. It especially sucks when trying to get it up onto the tailgate of a fullsize GMC after you've been out all day and already tired as crap. There was once I did think I was gonna have to call for re-inforcements(I wasn't at a ramp or anything....just unloading from the bank)....finally waited a minute or so, caught my breathe, and gave it one last heave and got that corner on it. :shock:

Bubba said:
Loggerhead Mike said:

This is basically the technique I used when I had my 12ft jonboat. Sometimes its a PITA to get that rear corner onto the tailgate, but once you do, you've got it made. It especially sucks when trying to get it up onto the tailgate of a fullsize GMC after you've been out all day and already tired as crap. There was once I did think I was gonna have to call for re-inforcements(I wasn't at a ramp or anything....just unloading from the bank)....finally waited a minute or so, caught my breathe, and gave it one last heave and got that corner on it. :shock:

I do the same right now. Wouldn't it be hard to pull or push it up a ramp? I found a trailer for free new me, just needs new tires. But I am gonna check it out hopefully in 2 days. The hardest part I have is getting that rear up on my tailgate and staying there. I was thinking about lifting it up, then attaching two tie downs to it so it doesn't slip down, then grab the front and push the rest in. Or, putting a eye on the back of my bed, then tying a rope on it with a clip on the end, and lifting it up and clipping it so it doesn't slide down.

If you can, it would be easiest to pick up a used trailer. That does away with having to do all the loading and unloading of gear plus saves your back for later years. Believe me, you don't want to add to the chances of ruining your back. I only say this because I'm now paying for all the stuff I did by living in almost constant back pain.

FR0G said:
Hey everybody. I recently got a free 12 foot Starcraft v aluminum boat and want to know if any of you have any tricks to load it into the back of a pickup by yourself. I have no problems unloading it, but its the loading it after I am done fishing part that I am having troubles with. It is embarrassing asking the rangers to help me load up my boat. Once I get the rear of the boat in, it is easy to push the rest in, but its just lifting the rear of the boat up that is killing me. Any tips?

30329.gif

Harbor Freight - $17.99 https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30329

05798.gif

Harbor Freight - $24.99 https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5798

Attach either one to the front of your truck bed. If you make a couple of loading ramps it will go even easier. Don't forget, most tailgates will lower more than 90° with little trouble.

This is a boat I made,about 15 years ago...sorry fiberglassC34427.jpg
I used it like that for years,had to put the spare tire under it so it wouldn't slide.I'm really glad I have a new boat and trailer now,it was a pain in the butt,seeing as I fish along most of the time.
If your truck is old,I know a guy that hooked a 12 volt winch right to the box and used that.Still has to lift it a bit though.

Yeah, that is what I am gonna do. A trailer would make everything so much easier. Plus, then I could build everything I want to in it and not worry that I won't be able to pick it up.

Do you happen to have a utility trailer?? If so make a detatchable set of cross bunks and hual the old girl that way. My dad done it that way for years, you can even get close enough to the water to almost do a wet launch and retrieve. :mrgreen: Take that $25.00 modified boat crank pictured above and mount it to the tongue, could be usefull to load other things on the trailer also. :wink: You could even swap the lights to emmersible and use it like a reg. boat trailer. =D>

Funny you mention that because just the other day I loaded my boat in our trailer we have just for hauling our dirtbikes and trash and whatever comes up. Its I think 8 feet long and 6 feet wide. It worked perfectly. I was able to back down far enough to make it super simple to lift it into the trailer, then push it in. I am still practicing backing a trailer up though. I have no experience towing, and I am only 18 (started driving at 17). I did pretty well, but I kept getting myself confused on which way to turn in order to make the trailer turn. A lady emailed me answering back to my ad I made for a trailer for free, so she is supposed to give me a call. If not, the trailer I have right now is working fine. What exactly are cross bunks?

The bunks are what the boat noramlly sits on,with a boat trailer.
If you can extend the tongue longer on the utility trailer,it will make it easier for you to back up as well.

...I did pretty well, but I kept getting myself confused on which way to turn in order to make the trailer turn...

If not already doing it, place your left hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Turn the wheel to the right to make the trailer go left, opposite to make it go right. I still have problems myself on some days, so don't feel bad.

Latest posts