ALUMINUM REPAIRS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manofvision

Reaction score
INCREDIBLE FORUM. I'm new and if you will bear with me I'll try my best. I've been reading all of your post and everyone has given me ideas for my visions of open water and catching the elusive water worm eater. I have bought a 14' starcraft circe 1985 with it's better years in front of it. Started the process with a basic clean out and have began the build up. What I need to find out is what is the best approach to a couple of tears in the aluminum of the boat. On the rear top (rolled over rail section)(forgive my lack of terminology) rail we have a crack - tear - seperation - no more than a 1/16" wide but it does go from the outside to the inside. I've drilled holes at the ends to prevent further tearing but I wanted to ask if there was an inexpensive way to repair this without taking the craft to someone to weld. Also have a crack on the front center (bow?)(very front top that is a little more extensive. I picked up 3-4 aluminum brazing rods at home depot and even though these flowed nicely - after cooling and given a little twist the tears seperate. Also on the bottom hull at the rear raised Vs it appears the craft was run over a high speed disk sander with 50 grit paper- would like to build these profiles back up. does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you for your patience and again your post's and help are most appreciated.

IF YOU CAN SEE IT IN YOUR MIND - IT IS POSSIBLE

You can use an aluminum/epoxy mix that comes in a tube. It's similar to the stuff in a tube that you cut off and roll around your fingers to activate and put on the small places. You can sand it down once it's cured and also paint over it.

I would think you could be able to use bondo to build up the place that you mentioned looked worn down

Bondo is about the last thing you want to use in a boat. Those aluminum brazing rods are not really practical for that sort of thing, (if they are practical for anything - 'bout the only thing worth brazing IMHO is brass). I haven't tried those durafix sticks etc, but I am not crazy about that sort of thing. Short of repairing the aluminum either welding or riveting, the only thing I will recommend is Gluv it, and certainly not in this case. It has it's place, but not here. Post up a picture or two. I know anything is possible, but I am having problems visualizing it in my mind.

I appreciate the good advice. And the diagram with the terminology layed out for the unedumacated. Thanks. I do have a question - read a post about "STEELFLEX" can anyone tell me what it's application is and where to get it. Again thank you for your support and if I'm slow to respond don't kill me - like all of you I gotta work for a livin. Haven't been able to work on the boat for a week and it's killin me.

Steelflex is great for protecting the hull and sealing small leaks around rivets and seams, BUT you will need to get the larger cracks or tears in the aluminum welded before put it on. It will not help those issues.

The newest repair rod is HTS-2000 works with a propane torch . Get it from websitehttps:// www.aluminumrepair.com/more_info.asp
Anybody not have luck with this?

Latest posts