Paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Angler

Reaction score
I'm new on this site and I am currently re-doing a 14 foot aluminum lonestar and I already made the decks and ordered carpet, but now im stuck on the paint. I plan on painting it a beige or tan color, something alog those lines. But the only 2 marine paints i know of are Rustoleum and Fasco's Steelflex. Does anybody know of different paints? Anybody have any tips on painting aluminum boats.

Thanks,
Nick

check out the post on this page called Alumacraft 1236 Makeover... I repainted my boat with Brightside Interlux Polyurethane. I used Zinc Chromate as the primer.

Before you paint, you can etch the boat with a sand disc that you can put in your drill - you can get it at walmart for $5. Then wipe the boat down with denatured alcohol to clean all the dust particles. Then put multiple light coats of primer, then the same for the final finish - all of this has to do with how well your paint will hold up in the long run. You can put it on thick as hell, but you can sit back and wait A LONG time for it to cure. Multiple coat = stronger finish. You can lightly wet sand in between coats to get any imperfections out.

Welcome Aboard! :beer:

Another paint option is tractor and implement paint,don't forget the hardner.This paint can be sprayed, brushed, or rolled on.It does take a while to dry,but when it does,it's a really tough paint.It can be found at Northern Tool and Tractor Supply.You'll need to prep and prime as russo1o stated above.

If you are painting bare aluminum, without paint on it, you will have to either etch the aluminum or use a self etching primer. If you choose not to use the self etching primer, you can cheat and wipe the exposed metal down with Alumi-brite (acid bath). Keep in mind tough, if the aluminum is dull rather than shinny, you will not need to etch it. Cleaning be suffecient.

One way to cheat is to use vinager rather than the Alumi-brite

now that I think about it, I did use pettie easypoxy.. brightside is what I was looking at but they didn't have the color I was looking for.

I used zinc chromate as a primer after etching it.

Latest posts