livewell question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat83

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a livewell to my boat, I have a G3 1436. I'm thinking of cutting the middle bench seat and removing the foam and putting the livewell there or should I not do that do to integrity and floatation issues. Also, has anyone bought and installed a fishmate pro livewell, this is the one I'm looking at. Any help would be welcome, want to get this done by spring for tourneys. Here is a picture of my boat.boat1.jpg

you would probably be fine using the middle bench. Just make sure to leave the sides of it alone for support. a buddy of mine did the exact same thing to his 1436 and had no trouble. He basically just cut the tob out and left the rest alone. Also there is a website called https://www.greatlakesskipper.comthat has some really good prices on livewells and such. That's where I got mine. It was something like 22 gal. and only cost me $80 bucks including shipping.

I agree.I would move the front seat up a little more.It's hard to acsess a live well under a seat.You could do a plywood floor and mount the seat pedestal to that.If you need more height just build a small box out of 2x2's and plywood.I prefer aluminum but it seems to be hard to find in certain areas.Lowe's and Home Dept stuff isn't worth the high price try a metal supplier if you wanna do aluminum.

my original post was moved to the boat talk board, but i do have a question about a livewell also. I have a alumacraft 1648 jon with the middle bench that has a livewell cut into it without an aerator. Question for those that are familiar with this, are those typically big enough for tournament? or should i plan to cut and make a bigger one?

OhioStateBuckeye said:
my original post was moved to the boat talk board, but i do have a question about a livewell also. I have a alumacraft 1648 jon with the middle bench that has a livewell cut into it without an aerator. Question for those that are familiar with this, are those typically big enough for tournament? or should i plan to cut and make a bigger one?
How many gallons of water does it hold? .. Will you be fishing team events? How many fish will you be bringing to the scales??
The more fish you need to store the more water you want.
If you change the water often you can get away with a smaller live well. just remember to make fish care the top priority.
some fish will die no matter how careful we are but we can do a lot to reduce those numbers

Wayne

If i had to guess right now id say its about the same size as a 15 gallon fish tank.. and from the hours of research ive seen on this site i get the idea of the pump and the "waterfall" effect. most of the tournaments around here are at most top 5. so probably no more than five. If im fishing in general i just use a stringer.

With a 15 gallon live well you should be fine My Triton has two 21 gallon wells. with the pumps on my boat i can run 1500 gallons per hour through each of them. the key is keeping the water as fresh as possible, and t maintain a cool water temp. My wells are plastic and insulated I add ice on hot days when the water temp gets above 80.
I have heard from the guys on the site that water temps in the aluminium live wells get pretty high so be sure to account for that.

Wayne

Hey man,
I have a G3 1442 and did exactly what you are talking about with the livewell. I have yet to have any issues with flotation or intergrity. My boat is equipped with a 25hp Merc 4stroke,so it has been tested quite well. I would reccomend moving the seat forward,I never liked having to move the seat around to access it. Hope this has been of some use to you.

Latest posts