Can this be fixed?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Reaction score
I broke my transducer on a rock the last time I had the boat out and just noticed it tonight while working on the boat. Is there anything I can use to secure it back together? The sensor part works fine, I already tested, but it flops around when the boat is moving. I checked Cabelas and they want $75 for a new transducer.

Here's a picture of what it looks like.

Attachments

• transducer2.JPG
    transducer2.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 630
Did the same thing to mine last year. I used a two part epoxy and has work good ever since.

I was going say epoxy or Gorille Glue. I re-attached some loose bricks on the front steps with the glue (didn't want to mess with mortar). The bricks have not moved since. Don't know if it will work on your transducer bracket (is it plastic or metal?), but the Gorilla Glue is some sturdy stuff and waterproof. 8) .

Oh, if you decide to use it, don't use a lot of excess glue, as it expands some when curing.

have heard you can fix BUt is never as strong

there is a guy on TFF that is workin out the kinks on a design for a bracket that protects tranducers and also works when they break like that. is almost done with them

I made an aluminum plate on each side of the tducer and drilled it to put a bolt through the part that is still there and then drilled it to bolt to the bracket..

Mine is made diff. then that but after breaking 3, I made a swing away bracket so that when I hit somthing with it, it just swings up then drops back down.

Duck Tape, not duct tape,is perfect for this application. :LMFAO: Just kidding.I would use the 2 part epoxy method,that comes in the syringe.

i have fixed two different ones. Buy you some J B Weld (quick). Put the larger piece in a vice and then attach the smaller piece. While the jb is still soft you can form it to the contour of the neck. After it's set you will need a grinder. This stuff is stronger than the original plastic and a lot of metal. You won't be disappointed.

If you are worried about strength, drill a set of matching holes in the two broken halfs and insert some metal dowel pins before you glue it together with JB Weld or 2 part epoxy.

You could use some finish nails with the heads cut off for the pins. Just don't make them so long that you drill into the electronics in the head.

Once you glue it make sure you don't tighten up the side bolts so tight it can't swing away. Those transducers are designed to swing up if they strike something to prevent this from happening in the first place.

It's always flipped up like it should, but I was doing a turn in some shallow water while gigging one night and hit a rock going sideways and not forward and that's why it snapped.

Seth said:
It's always flipped up like it should, but I was doing a turn in some shallow water while gigging one night and hit a rock going sideways and not forward and that's why it snapped.

Gigging? Gigging Flounder? One of my favorite past times when in Texas

Just put some epoxy on it and you should be good to go. Just makes sure the surface is clean and dry before you apply the epoxy.

flounderhead59 said:
Seth said:

Gigging? Gigging Flounder? One of my favorite past times when in Texas

Not flounder, not too many of them here in Missouri. :mrgreen: We gig suckers, carp, buffalo and any other kind of non game fish. Mostly suckers though. Hard to be a batch of freshly gigged suckers filleted, scored, and fried up on the bank. :D

Gigging, not jigging. :lol:

Zum, think spearfishing out of a boat or by wading with a handheld spear or "gig". Most of them look like a trident or pitchfork on the end.

Quackrstackr said:
Gigging, not jigging. :lol:

Zum, think spearfishing out of a boat or by wading with a handheld spear or "gig". Most of them look like a trident or pitchfork on the end.

One of the most common targets are bullfrogs...... a three-pronged gig (small pitchfork looking spear), a flashlight and some waders is all it takes :) :)

Though many use a boat to gig I prefer to wade the flats and gig them. It's more fun that way. Back when my wife had her commercial fishing license and could sell flounder to the fish market I used to go gigging every morning and get my 20 for her to sell. Used that money for buying Christmas presents. Even at $0.75/pound we would have a good Christmas.

https://nightstalkerguideservice.com/videos.html

Latest posts