Please help ID this boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KsPete

Reaction score
This followed me home today and I need some help identifying it. It seems to be an older 16’ aluminum v-hull. It doesn’t have an ID plate or any kind of manufacture’s name plates. The transom was rotted and removed so I’m sure the ID plate was tossed with it. It has a 5’6” beam and a 16” transom (unless you measure from the top of the gunnels, then it’s 22”). It has some leftover cabling for a steering system, but that may not be original.
It seems to be well made and very sturdy with lots of gussets and heavy-duty aluminum for the hull. The transom appeared to have been two inches thick and extended nearly all the way to the floor. I plan to rebuild it to those specs. I have a 1974 50hp Johnson, do you think that’s too much motor for this boat?
At this point I plan to repaint it, deck the front and rear sections and put a floor in the two middle sections. Since my 50hp has a Teleflex steering system, I’ll have to build a console for it. Can you adapt a motor like that to tiller steering? This boat will be used only for fishing.
Right now, I’m just in the thinking and planning stages. The real work on it probably won’t begin until the weather warms up a bit. Of course, I can start buying the goodies for it now. I need a trolling motor, fishfinder, lights… the list is long.
I’d appreciate anyone’s input. Thanks.

Attachments

• AlumBoat.jpg
    AlumBoat.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 602
  • AlumBoat2.jpg
    AlumBoat2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 603
  • AlumBoatInt.jpg
    AlumBoatInt.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 865
  • AlumBoatChines.jpg
    AlumBoatChines.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 602
Cherokee Boat. Moody Tilt trailer.

Moody Trailers were made somewhere in Alabama, and Cherokee boats were made in Mckensie (maybe spelled wrong) Tennessee. You lucked out, getting one with the nice squared ribs running lengthwise. This is what mine had.
Picture1002-2.jpg

Obviously didn't leak though.

Now, for the motor answer.
The correct answer - yes, that is way too big.

My answer - go for it. Only if you keep the console. Keep the seats, and beef up the transom a bit, as well as make it work for 20 inch shaft. Will be a hairy ride, but it could be fun. I say that about that boat only because you have those ribs, and I know what my boat would have been with those ribs.

Thanks for the help. I don't think this one leaks either. The previous said it had sat with the bow down and filld up with rainwater. He said he had to get a forklift to lift it back up.

16 foot boat,5.6 foot beam(across bottom right?)...16inch stern
With a console,deck in the bow and fixed stern,I'd give it a try...not telling you to.
I"d have my bildge pump working just incase alittle water comes over the stern.Should scat right along.

Zum said:
16 foot boat,5.6 foot beam...
Oh wait. I for whatever reason thought you mentioned 14 foot. If it is 16, go for it. That will probably be rated for 40 or so anyway. The 14 is what I was concerned about. Heck, the older 14 foot Alumacraft FDs were rated for 40, and that is a short shaft, and much narrower than yours.

With a tiller, you probably wouldn't be too happy, but if you keep the console, you should have no issues.

I might give it a try. I think the boat is plenty sturdy enough and I plan to add additional bracing for the transom if I go this route. Do you think the weight of the motor will cause concern, by that I mean will the bow ride too high? I plan to put a good sized trolling motor up front along with at least one battery, maybe two. I was also thinking of building in a livewell under the front deck. I'm not the hotrodding type so I'll probably never go full throttle right out of the hole.

Zum, the 5.6 feet is across rail to rail at its widest point, it's 50 inches across the bottom at its widest point. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm know boat guru by any stretch of the imagiation but I'd strenthen the stern up like you said,attach the motor and put her in the water.
Alot of newer boats(probably alittle wider and higher transom)are rated for 60hp with a console.
Have another person with you,if the bows real high put him/her in the bow.Idle around for abit,nothing saying you have to go WOT at first.If you think you need more weight in the bow,add a casting(or bigger)deck,make a place for the batteries etc.
I really don't think you will have a problem.Worse come to worse you put it back on the trialer and look for another outboard.

I havn't reseached the weight of your outboard,do you know what it weighs?
It may be a power issue(max hp) also,I don't know the regulations in your state as far as having the wrong size outboard on your boat.
Make sure your always safe.

Do you think the weight of the motor will cause concern, by that I mean will the bow ride too high?
Not if you have a console. Put your batteries about midships too, and you should be a-okay.

I havn't reseached the weight of your outboard,do you know what it weighs?
Early 70's 50 horse Johnson's were between 190 and 200 pounds.

Thanks for all the input and encouragement. However, after more consideration, I've decided to go the slower, safer route for the following reasons: (1) I want this boat fishable by March and I don't want to take the time to build a console; (2) I wanted to keep the layout as simple and wide open as possible; (3) my wife and I like to troll occasionally and I think a smaller motor would be easier troll with; (4) I would have to buy a new steering cable; and several other lesser reasons. I have some tax refund money coming so I'll be looking for something in the 10-25hp range with tiller steering.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Don't go to small though,it would be a pain if the boat doesn't plain off.

My first post here.

I realize that this is an old thread but I thought I would reply anyway. It may prove helpful to someone someday.

I have a 14 foot Cherokee Semi-V made by Mckenzie Boat Company. It has the same square ribs as the original poster's does. These are very sturdy boats. Mine has the orginal plaque on the transom and it was rated for a 35 HP (tiller steer) motor.

Oddly enough, mine has the same Moody trailer.......another heavy duty piece.

I did an update to mine by Rhino lining the entire enterior and adding decking and storage. My pictures of the project are 35mm so I will try to scan them and post them if I can.

I think the boat would do fine with a console steer 50 considering it is two feet longer than mine.

Regards, Brad

Latest posts