bigger jon?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich.8419

Reaction score
Greetings folks. I have an '05 12 ft alumacraft with a 15hp Mercury 4 stroke bu I'm thinking about getting something a little bigger. Would a wide 14ft'er be too much for my motor?

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

The 14 footer will be a little slower, but the comfort and stability I think would make up for the loss of speed. How fast can you go now?

I never really opened it up. I'll be happy with a 14 ft'er if it'll get going at a decent speed with two people and an icechest and tackle.

I think you'll be fine moving up in boats.. as long as you aren't looking for jet boat speeds, you should be happy

I have a 14' semi-vee that I wish was faster, but all I've got is a 5 horse pushing it! If you haven't found the need to open it up on the 12', I'm sure you will be fine on the 14.

I have a 1448 with an 18 horse. I wish that it had a 25 for packing a load during duck season but the 18 horse pushes it just fine. Matter of fact, there is not a whole lot of the boat left in the water at full throttle with just me in it.

My 18hp is an old motor that is rated at the power head, not the prop like your motor. I'm probably not even putting out 15 hp at the prop.

Thanks great. Academy has a 15 ft'er - 40 in for a decent price and I think i'll step up to that. I have a 5 mile run in a protected canal that I want to make but haven't had the courage to do in the current rig. I think the extra width and stability would be great.

Rich.8419 said:
...Academy has a 15 ft'er - 40 in for a decent price...
Is that a 15 with a 40 horse. I have a 1542 with an old 40, which is powerhead rated, and I can run right about 30 with 2 guys. A newer 40, and a proper prop (don't yet know what RPMs I am turning) would push me a bit more.

Do put a good bit of weight in the bow if you go that route. I have my batteries in the first hatch in front of the midships seat in here - one group 29 and one 24, and my fuel is in the stern. When I am at the tiller - 150 pounds, and dad is in the front seat - 225, and the lab is between us - 75 pounds, it b a r e l y gets on plane. Runs just fine when it gets out of the hole, but the first time we tried that, I thought I wasn't going to get out of the hole. Can't get the dog to ride on the bow deck either.
Yazoo002-2.jpg

no thats a 40 in width. Here's the link:
https://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/marine/boats&start=6&selectedSKU=0141-00124-1542

I'd imagine that boat with my 15 hp four stroke would do good from everyone's posts here but I just don't know yet. Also how does a riveted boat hold up to salt water?

Rich.8419 said:
no thats a 40 in width. Here's the link:
https://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/marine/boats&start=6&selectedSKU=0141-00124-1542
Open mouth, insert foot. #-o #-o

I'd imagine that boat with my 15 hp four stroke would do good from everyone's posts here but I just don't know yet. Also how does a riveted boat hold up to salt water?
I don't know, a 1540 is a bit of a step up from a 1436, or 1236. It would be acceptable, but you would probably start wanting more in the future.

If you are marina storing, you would probably want something welded. If it is trailered, rivets will be fine. Rinse it off every now and then.

I run a 16' semi V with a 25HP and wish is was faster......lol.....but then again with the size of my livewell, three batteries , 6 gallons of fuel, my tackle box (big) extra prop. 15lb. anchor, two people and 8 fishing rods I guess it does alright!!!........ :lol:

Ive got a 1436 jon with old 20hp. It does fine with me and gear. 16-17 mph. Sometimes it wont plain out with 2 people and night fishing gear. Of course those times, we probally outweigh the weight cap on tag.

how much do those two people weigh and how much gear you figure?

My rough figures are as follows:

1 battery - 10 lbs?
1 troll motor - 30 lbs?
1 person - 160 lbs
1 person - 175 lbs
tackle - 25 lbs
ice & chest - 7 lbs

for a rough total of 402 lbs so lets say 500 lbs after mods and a good rain.

Now that i've thought about this for a bit a 1442 might be a better choice for my 15hp mercury. According to alumacraft's website a 1436 is max rated for a 15 hp but the 1442 is max rated for a 25 hp. Thats a 10 hp difference for only an 8 inch bottom width difference and 10 # of aluminum sheet. Will I get on plane and run ~ 15 mph with my load and motor size? Keep in mind that the engine is an '05 so thats 15 horses at the prop.

I don't know what kind of batteries your running at 10lbs... mine are closer to 60lbs... if this give you any indications, I have a 1236 Alumacraft rated for a 15hp as well and this is how much weight is in mine.. I don't have a motor on it, but 2 trolling motors can push me with all of this pretty fast

3 - 29 series deep cycle batteries - @ 60lbs each (180lbs)
2 - Trolling motors... maybe 30-40lbs each (80lbs)
wood for flooring, decking - 75lbs
gear (anchors, tackle, seats/pedestals) - 50lbs
1 person - 185lbs
I have had 1 other person in there... 120lbs
Total... 690lbs

And I can do all of that all day on my little jon boat with no problems

Latest posts