AWESOME forum and starting my first mod--carpet question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck43

Reaction score
I live in the Tarpon Springs Fl area and found the perfect boat to mod for lake and flats fishing in my area (if anyone on the forum lives near by give me a shout).

I am modifying an old 16 ft extra wide flat bottom Monarch with side console. I plan on doing most wood work with Marine plywood and ready to purchase and install carpet. A few questions for the experts :)

1. do stores such as Lowes and HD carry marine grade carpet suiable for these mods or should I shop elsware and would love suggestions for price, best type, etc.
2. is there a specific glue needed for marine applications?
3. any suggestions on how to attach carpeted flooring or panels without using external screws and washers? If you do use screws and washers outside of being SS any suggestions/descriptions?

Thanks I am hooked on this stuff already!

Will start to post pics for all to view.

Buck

Welcome aboard! :beer:

1. do stores such as Lowes and HD carry marine grade carpet suiable for these mods or should I shop elsware and would love suggestions for price, best type, etc. - Lowe's carries a marine carpet, but just like everywhere else, it's expensive. They do sell another outdoor carpet that has rubber backing and it works just as well. I got 12 ft off their "end of roll" rack.. this is where they estimate how much carpet is rolled up and just put a sticker on it. Of the times I've bought, I've come away with more than they estimated.

2. is there a specific glue needed for marine applications? Henry 663 - https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=62475-41173-FP00663044073&lpage=none... I've had great experience with this stuff

3. any suggestions on how to attach carpeted flooring or panels without using external screws and washers? If you do use screws and washers outside of being SS any suggestions/descriptions? You could use Liquid nails... but when it's down - it's down. So if you ever need to do repairs or anything, you're pretty much at a loss in my opinion. On my floor decks that don't have supports, I just have them sitting on the ribs without attaching them - so I can pull them out and clean them or under them easily. The front deck I've made the same way, but with supports that just rest on the boat floor.

Welcome Aboard! 8)

Same as Russ, I have no complaints about the Henry 663 glue from Lowe's. Look in the carpeting section for it. Don't know if everyone does it, but I used a 1/8" notched trowel to spread the glue. Keep a damp rag handy to wipe-off/remove any excess glue that may seep from around the edges. The glue can also be cleaned off the trowel with some warm soapy water so that it's ready for the glue job.

Welcome aboard. I cant speak up from personal experience as I'm just starting my first mod, but the other guys here know what they are talking about. Dont forget the pics and happy modding.

Hey Buck I have to agree with you on the forum. It dont get much better than this for the knowledge about tin boats. Let see some pics of the boat and see what you got going on. I to am starting a mod on a boat. Hopefully funds will alow me to start soon. Untill then I will be fishing when weather is right to get out. Oh and by the way I am right down the street from you in Dunedin. Maybe we can meet up some time and swap fish/boat stories.

Gary

Thanks for all of the encouraging remarks. Great group of guys, and maybe gals :0 on here. I seem to feel the marine grade plywood makes sense but it seems like several of the folks on here go the other route with a decent grade plywood and water sealing. I would love to go this rtoute for price, but are we okay not using marine grade and if so what thickness?

Buck

I didn't use marine simply for the price - and if I can use exterior plywood and paint/stain it for sealant and rot reistance then I'm all for it. I used 3/4 on top of my bench seats only because I wanted to have more "meat" for my self tapping bolts to dig into for my seat pedestals.

In the floor between the rear and front bench (I didn't raise this floor) I just attached the plywood on 2x2 braces which sit on top of the floor ribs.) I used 3/8" NON pressure treated architectural plywood because I didn't want the added weight of 3/4", and not the flimsyness of 1/2". I used some paint/stain that I had left over from painting my decks and it repels water very well.

I didn't use glue on my carpet because I didn't want to deal with the mess, I just pulled the carpet as tight as I could and stapled it on the undersides of the ply. One thing I forgot to do was put some padding under the carpet that I had left over.. still wish I had done that, but I'm not about to redo it!

I don't know how much you were thinking carpet would cost, but I bought mine from Lowe's It was called Stratos Red? or Maroon?. I got a 16x6 ft roll of carpet and it cost me $45. I didn't think it was too bad. I used the 1/8 notched trowel for the job too, and some "premium" outdoor carpet glue. Anyhow, it looks fine, I'm very happy with it thus far. The other tip is this, GET A PARTNER! I wouldn't want to do it alone! I also stapled the undersides of my carpet. All in all I think my carpet job cost me (carpet, glue, staples, and utility knife blade for cutting carpet) less than $70.

baptistpreach said:
I don't know how much you were thinking carpet would cost, but I bought mine from Lowe's It was called Stratos Red? or Maroon?. I got a 16x6 ft roll of carpet and it cost me $45. I didn't think it was too bad. I used the 1/8 notched trowel for the job too, and some "premium" outdoor carpet glue. Anyhow, it looks fine, I'm very happy with it thus far. The other tip is this, GET A PARTNER! I wouldn't want to do it alone! I also stapled the undersides of my carpet. All in all I think my carpet job cost me (carpet, glue, staples, and utility knife blade for cutting carpet) less than $70.

they have 2 separate carpets at lowes... the one that they don't keep in stock is actual marine carpet and it's the same price as the carpet you can get from basspro and cabelas. The stuff they have in the back on the roll is what I used as well. Just make sure whatever carpet you get has rubber backing - you'll be fine

Latest posts