10' Flat bottom advice needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwmiles

Reaction score
I have a 10 flat. I need to add a stabilizer to it. My fishing buddy is 325lbs and I am not much smaller. We fish fine out of this boat on small water, but one of our honey holes is a flip and pitch walk in only pond. It needs to be light and able to lifted over fence for a half miles walk. I was thinking of putting a pontoon out on one side kinda like the sail boat boys do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Love this forum.. All I own is tin boats!

This fishing hole is very secluded and there is no pressure. I am kinda thinking of two pieces of square tubing with a small pontoon out about 2-3 feet. I can pick up the pontoon from a friend. It'll be about 4 foot long. I have a modified wheel chair for transport now, but I am stealing the wifes four pneumatic tire yard cart for my next years transportation. Thank you for the warm welcome. I've been a guest on here for over a year and have learned a ton from you guys.

Thanks

welcometo the site.. those hidden ponds can be fantastic I would suggest that if yu and your fishing buddy are both around the 300 lb mark and planning on fishing standing up be sure to pack your swim suits..A 10' jon can be tough for one guy to stand in

Wayne

they sell setups like that for canoes and kayaks. Im sure you could fab up a similar setup. Most are just simple aluminum clamp on brakets with foam floats.

i don't see why you can't take a 4" pvc pipe about 5' long and cap both ends.. I guess you could put some liquid foam in it, but I don't think it would sink. You can rig up a way to attach it with angle aluminum

The five foot, 4" diameter pvc with capped ends sounds like a great idea! As long as it's sealed tight it will be a bear to sink. Ever tried to get a basketball under the water when you were a kid? :shock:

this is kind of what I was talking about. https://www.castlecraft.org/canoe_stabilizer.htm Looks fairly simple to rig up. Something that clamps to the gunwales and hangs out a couple of feet.

I think those are the same floats someone on here looked at quite awhile ago. I would go with the Hydrodynamic ones over the Eathafoam. The Eathafoam description sounds like a stiff version of what those swimmimg pool noodles are made of, but I'm just guessing.

We fish this pond pretty much year round. My flat bottom is very unstable but the fish are anywhere from 14 inches to 9lbs. We have had multiple 8s out of here and we never see anyone else even bank fishing. I appreciate the advise on the swim trunks. We always vacuum seal a bag of replacement clothes and leave them on a near bank. Those canoe floats might just work. I think I need a longer arm to stabilize. I am making about a 2 foot arm and going to test on bigger water soon. I figure if we stand toward the float side off center we may actually stay dry a few hours.

You can do the same thing in the link above using 2 large boat fenders and 2-2x2's around 8 foot long and poly rope.I can't believe you are carring that much weight in a 10 footer.My oldest son and I max out my 10 footer and that gets scary at times.

Yeah we pretty much max out the boat. We have a good hole to fish and we are willing to get wet. Not too often do you find quality fish in quantity in Missouri. Dont get me wrong we have some nice lakes, but it is fun showing catch and release pics to people and telling them it is a secret pond. You guys have given me alot of ideas. If I can figure out how to post pics I will show my progress.

The runner is done for my 10'. Looks terrible! I can weld, I dont know what happened but it works good. Will post pics with my new camera as soon as I figure it out. Should have a pick of 600lbs of fisherman in a 10 foot boat flipping and pitching!

how about something inflatable air matress raft something you could inflate once you got there and secure to the side

I just tell all my littler fishing buddies that if you set the hook as much as I do, you have to have some meat on your bones! 8)

CTAngler481 said:
I don't know about all those guys busting ya chops for being big. [-X

I have a ten footer and I fit 2 280 pound guys, it works great, but then again, it's a TRACKER :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see pics, my friend bought one of these for his jon and it works perfectly

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

My idea was like this, except cheaper.A couple 2x4's,couple old boat fenders,bolts and some nylon rope.

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0025029016790a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=boat+fenders&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

just saw this on craigslist bet it works great. he calls them air cellshttps://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/1035466670.html
airtubes.jpg

Latest posts