it has begun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStewart

Reaction score
well I drug the boat out of the garage to check for leaks and clean it up. filled it full of water and found 4 rivets leaking. also appears to be leaking from the seam almost all the around the boat. then scrubbed the floor clean as the water drained out. is it pretty common to have leaks at the seam like this? here are a few pics.

Attachments

• 100_0914.JPG
    100_0914.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 100_0913.JPG
    100_0913.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 100_0912.JPG
    100_0912.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 100_0911.JPG
    100_0911.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,425
I'm not sure where the seams are you are talking about leaking... but I don't think any boats are supposed to leak anywhere... A good layer of steelflex may fix that for you though

the seams im talking about are where the gunwhales meet the floor. I know they are not supposed to normanlly. I was wanting to know if this is a common problem for a 40 year old boat. i'm gonna tighten the few rivets that are leaking and the coat the boat in steelflex. i think it will fix it as well.

I guess anything is possible in a boat that's 40 years old... if you put steelflex on the outside, it might not be a bad idea to do the inside floor around those seams with it as well... I'm pretty sure it will fix your problem though.

How fast was it leaking out around the seams?

Not real fast. It also took a while, maybe 30 min before the water started to leak out of the seams. Almost like the water put a lot of pressure on the boat and made it flex and caused the leaks. I'm not certain though.

stew6371 said:
Not real fast. It also took a while, maybe 30 min before the water started to leak out of the seams. Almost like the water put a lot of pressure on the boat and made it flex and caused the leaks. I'm not certain though.

That's highly possible. Could've flexed just enough near/around rivets to cause it them leak some.

Waterwings said:
stew6371 said:

That's highly possible. Could've flexed just enough near/around rivets to cause it them leak some.

That would be nice if that is all it was. I plan on the steelflex anyway. Just reassurance and future protection. Plus the boat needs a paint job anyway.

I would see if you can give the rivets around the area that is leaking a few taps to tighten them up.

BTW, my 44 year old Alumacraft doesnt leak a drop.

Latest posts