docking a jon boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katplayer187

Reaction score
so ive heard that water can come into you jon boat when you dock your boat. i reallly dont understand how the water would get in the boat if i has a cover on it?? is there any way this is can happen?

I do not understand what you mean - why would you have a cover on the boat while docking it?

You do mean docking as a verb right? "To maneuver (a vessel or vehicle) into or next to a dock."

Ahhh thanks :D

Water can get in whenever you store your boat on the water, just about every boat has a small leak or three. Also, waves / wakes, rain and even condensation from the sun will cause water to develop in the bilge area. Always have a bilge pump and shore power hooked up and you should be fine

i will not have shore power but im gonna install a bilge pump.. anyway i can run it on a timer or make it 2 kick on once water gets in the boat? off the 2nd battery ?

katplayer187 said:
i will not have shore power but im gonna install a bilge pump.. anyway i can run it on a timer or make it 2 kick on once water gets in the boat? off the 2nd battery ?
Yep. Google bilge pump float switch. Can be bought at BPS, Cabelas, Boater's World, or anywhere else you can buy bilge pumps. Heck, I have seen them at Wallyworld from time to time.

Why not just beach the boat and pull it up on the bank?That's what I used to do with mine.I flipped mine over,but you have gear that could be damaged.

i think its a lil too big to flip and i really have big ideas on this jon so id like everything to be perfect considering im gonna put alot of $ in it with 2 optimas and maybe a lowrance hd....

If you cannot hook up shore power then i suggest you look into a solar cell to keep that bilge pump running. Nothing worse then a swamped boat and dead battery becuase the bilge pump ran all day and then died.

im gonna have to figure something out my last resort would be towing.. id like to just dock it a few blocks away from my house because alot of time when i go fishing its a last min deal because of work .. i figure dopck it then i can keep everything on the dock bait in a cage next to the boat... hop on and get fishing!!

katplayer187 said:
im gonna have to figure something out my last resort would be towing.. id like to just dock it a few blocks away from my house because alot of time when i go fishing its a last min deal because of work .. i figure dopck it then i can keep everything on the dock bait in a cage next to the boat... hop on and get fishing!!
Is the dock private, or is it a public marina. If it is private, you can make a little ramp for the boat. A couple boards sloping back into the water will suffice. Basically, you idle onto the boards which are obviously on a frame, not loose, and have a winch on the front, which you pull the boat just out of the water, and pull the plug. This keeps it from filling up, and keeps it out of the water, where it will get covered in all sorts of growth. Slicks or rollers will really ease the process, and it really will be as easy, if not easier than making fast the two lines needed to tie it to the dock.

personally if it was mine i would put in a bilge pump controlled by a float switch and dock it and cover it, and the only time the bilge pump would comsume battery current is when enough water is in the bilge area to activate the bilge pump. float switch at wally world for 16 bucks..........finished.......just my 2 cent's......Mike

Latest posts