im new and have questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgolden2

Reaction score
I am in the Missouri Ozarks and have a 1984 Sea Nymph Bass Attacker aluminum boat with a 1986 Merc 50hp motor. Ive been remodeling it the last couple years - all new marine plywood, all new marine carpet, sanded and repainted trailer, new tires, new lights, etc etc - but i've yet to get it in the water to test the motor. Now I have a problem. I've lost the one key I had to it. Is there a way to get a replacement key for the ignition or am I able to install another ignition switch on the dash (something similar to https://www.iboats.com/Boat_Ignition_Starter_Switches/dm/view_id.216622) The current switch is located on the throttle. Also - in the rear of the boat, on both sides and underneath the decking, is the original flotation foam. Is it safe to leave as is, do I need to add more, can I take a little out? Again, I'm new to all this, so thanks for any help or suggestions you might have.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

Agree with above, a locksmith should be able to get you a new key for it fairly cheap. What is the condition of the foam underneath? Is it rotted?

Foam looks to be pretty good. There doesnt appear to be any chipped off or missing, its just an old dark yellowy color.

:WELCOME:

I agree with getting a lock smith.Taking the boat to a lock smith shop will be cheaper than a house call.Have your driver license and boat's paper work handy.Most lock smiths need to check and record the numbers.I'm not sure it's a law but it covers both of you if something happens in the future.

I believe if you called a dealer, and gave them your serial number, they could cut you a key, just like car dealers can do.

my 2 cents is throw in a new ignition switch, all it really is is a simple switch that just takes a key to make or break the circuit. or at least im assuming it would be. or you could look for new controls on ebay.

Latest posts