Question on Aluminum vs. Wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atb

Reaction score
For framing in your deck modifications. I had originally had my mind made up on using wood til seeing bassboys mod in aluminum. Thinking aloud (or through posting) a quick list of pros and cons of each.
Wood
Pro - cheaper, more experience with
Con - rots, heavier higher maintenence
Aluminum
Pro - lighter, wont rot, less maintence
Con - less experience with, costly, louder

Help me out with some more to make my decision. I hate maintence so I am leaning toward aluminum, I have a friend who can help me out with 6061 channel and square tube at a good price to drop the cost issue a bit. I have no skills in the welding dept. Anyone who used aluminum I have seen how you riveted to L brackets internally but what did you do to support the frame to the outer part of the boat? Also how much heavier would wood framing be?
Lots of random thoughts and questions, sorry.
Thanks for any help.
Andrew

I'm at the same point you are. At the moment Aluminum is winning, but may at least look at a combination of the two and see if that makes sense.

I found a place today that has pretty good prices on aluminum (at least relative to Home Depot) https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=60&step=2&top_cat=60 they have no minimum order and an 8ft stick of 1.5 x 1.5 x .125 of 6061 is around $13. I think I saw that they also give a 10% discount on orders over $100.

My boat will have to live outside (with cover) which will probably be the reason I go with aluminum.

-- Pooile

If you can go the aluminum route - take your time and you'll be fine with it. I've fished with bassboy in his boat, and it's not loud at all - so you can take that off your con list.

As far as attaching it, you can just use rivets... talk to bassboy - he can give you all the websites to visit for rivets and all that stuff, and give you instructions on how to attach it a lot better than I can.

I can tell you that there is a big difference in weight though with wood as opposed to aluminium. Are you planning on using aluminum as your decking as well?? That will really be your weight saver.

And take it from my experience. when cutting aluminum , especially if your using wood saws. IE; chop saw. take it nice and slow cutting . don't get in a hurry, ease the blade down to where it barely touches the piece then ease in slowly through the piece. I was cutting all day and my last piece I got in a hurry. the saw bit down and grabbed the piece yanking it out of my hand, needless to say, I almost had a emergency room visit as the saw blade contacted my hand . only damage was half of my thumb nail is missing . all that and I never found the piece I was cutting , I have no idea where it went??

Macgyver said:
And take it from my experience. when cutting aluminum , especially if your using wood saws. IE; chop saw. take it nice and slow cutting . don't get in a hurry, ease the blade down to where it barely touches the piece then ease in slowly through the piece. I was cutting all day and my last piece I got in a hurry. the saw bit down and grabbed the piece yanking it out of my hand, needless to say, I almost had a emergency room visit as the saw blade contacted my hand . only damage was half of my thumb nail is missing . all that and I never found the piece I was cutting , I have no idea where it went??

if you were cutting inside or under shelter - look UP. My father in law was cutting a piece of hardwood flooring (the last piece for the floor, and wouldn't open a new box to get the piece, so he tried to cut a notch in the side to slide in).. anyways, I told him not to do it and the next thing I know he comes walking back in and says "i got my thumb"... I thought he was BS'ing me and told him to let me see it. Pulled his hand off and I opened it up and he cut all the way to the bone, barely missing his cartilage. I ended up taking him to the ER because everyone else was panicking (including him). Anyways, be careful and not stupid - aluminum can be replaced and more bought - fingers are hard to come by...

ya, I looked in the ceiling already.. .lol. ...luckily it just grazed my thumbnail enough to tear half of it off and then grazed the ball of my hand . nothing but flesh wounds thankfully.

Aluminum is the way to go if you can afford and find it. Now is particularly a good time to try to get some aluminum because the prices are way down. I was gettting almost double in scrap value what it is now.

I used aluminum on my boat instead of wood.Wood will rot after a while.I help about 4 men around here redo there boats everyone of them had to have the wood took out because of rotting wood and replaced with aluminum.My boat has the deck & floors made out of aluminum.To cut it i used a saws-all with a wood blade it cuts it like butter then I took a side grinder with sandpaper disk & a file did the edges.I used 3/16 big headed pop rivets to put the deck on.The alum floors are removable so the boats floor can be cleaned.Here are some pictures.

IMAG0003.jpg

G-6020.jpg

G-6014.jpg

G-6012.jpg

G-6006.jpg

G-6003.jpg

G-6001.jpg

FISHINGGEAR053.jpg

B-2006-1.jpg

This is the thread I have been looking for. I have been looking at a re-do of a 14foot tinny of mine. My first thought was to go all aluminum. After some research, I have been told a 4x8 sheet of 3?16th aluminum diamond plate is around 80lbs.

Is this accurate from all your experience?

If it is... I can get 1/2 inch 4x8 ply @ about 50lbs per sheet and at least 1/5th the price.

Let me say, I have NEVER held an aluminum sheet in my hands, nor an official weighing of a sheet... so I do not know if these are accurate values to base my decision on.

MY boat has 3/16 in it but it not diamond plate.That stuff is high dollar mine is smooth face with carpet over it.As far as weight Iwould thank diamond plate would weigh more than smooth plate.The alum. i used is about the same or a little lighter then plywood.Iwas thanking the samething about it being heavy.But alum. you will never have to replace it and if it rains on it I don't have to worry about it rotting.Thats one of the reason I went with alum..Alum. my cost a little more but in the long run it will pay for it self.This is just my thanking plus I'M like you i want to go as cheep as I can.But if I had to do it all over again I would still us alum.Don't get me wrong some use 2x4 for framing 4x8 plywood sheets by the the time you reinforce all that it cheeper but a lot heavier.It's up to you what you use this is just my thank.The deck on my boat is a little over 5ft. if you look at the pictures you will see a ridge in the middle of the deck thats were i added on.But with plwood i would have had to put it over the hole 5ft deck there for my deck is lighter than a plywood deck.All of my nuts bolts and screws are stainless steal the support are all alum.there is no wood in the boat expect on the transom.

you could always set off the cost by doing what I did, I did aluminum bracing and for now plywood over it. Once the wood starts giving me issues I'll replace it with aluminum. I did this for cost reason only, I still had the hole project cost in front of me, which I posted this in my build thread, it has the cost of everything I put in it, for situations similiar to this on cost's, the project is a year old only right now, so the price should still be close if not a bit cheaper

FishingBuds said:
you could always set off the cost by doing what I did, I did aluminum bracing and for now plywood over it. Once the wood starts giving me issues I'll replace it with aluminum. I did this for cost reason only, I still had the hole project cost in front of me, which I posted this in my build thread, it has the cost of everything I put in it, for situations similiar to this on cost's, the project is a year old only right now, so the price should still be close if not a bit cheaper

I agree... if money is an issue, do the framing right the first time then move on up later with the aluminum flooring.

Thanks for the great replies!

Gives me some options to weigh... ( :D )

This does lead me to the question; How light of a construction can I make?

What sized bracing can be used for aluminum construction and still be safe?

What gauge aluminum sheet can be used? I was looking at diamond plate but I am in no way married to it! Smooth is fine with me... especially if it is cheaper!

I do know that some of these answers are dependent on what kind of spans between braces and how much weight is needed to be supported.

My thinking is the following; no more than 9 inches between vertical braces. Horizontal every 4... ?
3/16ths Aluminum sheet.

Does this sound realistic?

Any suggestions

Quackrstackr said:
Most boat hulls are .100" or thinner. :wink:

yes but your not standing/walking on it ..

cprince said:
This is the thread I have been looking for. I have been looking at a re-do of a 14foot tinny of mine. My first thought was to go all aluminum. After some research, I have been told a 4x8 sheet of 3?16th aluminum diamond plate is around 80lbs.

Is this accurate from all your experience?

If it is... I can get 1/2 inch 4x8 ply @ about 50lbs per sheet and at least 1/5th the price.

Let me say, I have NEVER held an aluminum sheet in my hands, nor an official weighing of a sheet... so I do not know if these are accurate values to base my decision on.

I've held a 3/16" x4'x4' sheet of diamond plate and it was much lighter then a 4'x4' sheet of 1/2" ply.

I will post my response to atb's PM, so y'all can see it as well, as it seems there is other interest in it.

"
atb said:
bassboy1
Great job you did on your boat. I think I am going to use all aluminum as well and hope you dont mind a few questions.
No problem.

Could you recommend a good rivet gun and food rivet size to use?
As far as a rivet gun, I would recommend a pneumatic one, if you have a compressor, and the funding to allow that. I have yet to have one, but the times I have been in other shops and used one, I can definitely tell you they are worth their weight in gold. If not, the stanley one from Home Depot is perfectly fine.

For size, there are a lot of options. For my structure, it is pretty much all 3/16 rivets. These things are very strong. I used a combination of 3/16, 5/32 and 1/8 inch to hold my deck and side paneling down. Here is my recommendation. The deck holds just fine with 1/8 inch rivets, and they won't be felt through carpet. Plus, they are cheap - twice as many in the same price box as the other two sizes. I put them at 6 inch intervals, which is probably overkill, but that is the way I roll.
On side paneling, I would recommend using 1/8 on things that are there as side panels. On panels that also serve as a gusset (on a lot of the hatches, rod locker for instance, the frame itself is very weak, and very prone to twisting - the paneling gave the resistance to flexing, and it is rock solid) I would use 5/32.

You will be using more rivets than you think you will. You may want to look at buying them online, in quantity. If not, Northern Tool does have them cheaper than Home Depot, but they lack 5/32. Lowes (at least here) doesn't have many sizes, and they are a little more expensive.

What was the thickness of the aluminum used for your deck?
I used .090 because that is what I had cheap access for. If possible, .125 is the way to go. That is what I was looking for, but was unable to find at the price I wanted. On my next build, I will likely be searching for .125. However, .090 is acceptable, with enough structure. I have no flex in my deck. I wouldn't go any less than that though, as you will be adding more structure than you will wish to.

How did you secure the frame to the sides of the boat? I see how you did it with the ribs on the bottom but was curious with the side?
I didn't. In one place, on the starboard side of the bow deck, by the rod locker, you can see where I substituted a gusset to the rib in place of the leg, as a leg would have impeded the rod locker. There were a couple reasons for no side contact up there. First of all, there was little structure to attach to. The front rib stopped at the side of the hull, and didn't wrap up, and the next rib didn't go all that high. Also, without the structure, the sides up there weren't really suited for holding a load. I did connect to the bulkhead I had, and it is connected to the hull.

On the rod locker, I did connect to the ribs. I cut a piece of 1 x 1 so that it would be level on top, when connected to the exposed top of the channel rib. Then, I connected it with a piece of flat plate riveted to this tube, and to the rib. There are some pictures of that on this page of my thread, which I didn't have in my shareaproject link.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1684&start=30"

In response to a few questions on this thread....
My thinking is the following; no more than 9 inches between vertical braces. Horizontal every 4... ?
3/16ths Aluminum sheet.

Does this sound realistic?
I would go .125 on sheet, as opposed to .1875. The extra structure needed will be lighter/cheaper than the extra sheet.

Your idea on bracing is a bit on the high side.

I used .090 thickness, out of necessity on mine. Horizontal supports were every 7 inches on my lower deck. Just parallel bracing, no transverse. Really no noticeable flexing. And, this is 1/2 the thickness of what you were planning. If you make a square or rectangle in your bracing (basically bracing both sides) you can get by with less even. I have a few 10 by 16 or bigger spans in bracing, with no flex.

On your vertical bracing, you can get by with a lot less. I used 1 x 1 square tubing, with 1/16 wall thickness for my rig. I used four vertical legs on my bow deck, which is more than 55 inches wide. And, that was because of the way Yazoo bent the ribs to form the slight V shape, I couldn't put a leg in the middle. Instead, I put one on either side of the middle as well as one on each side of the deck, as I didn't want it to be at all asymmetrical. 3 would have been just dandy. On my whole bow deck, there were 5 transverse "beams." Up in the bow, I used the lip formed into the bow cover as beam 1. Then, my next one back is about 14 inches back. After that, I have another 16 inches between beam 2 and beam 3 and the same between beam 3 and 4 (existing bulkhead). Beam 5 is at aft end of the bow deck.

Look at my leg placement on my rig, knowing what I said about the beam spacing (there is a lot of longitudinal structure, but that is solely for deck/hatch support, and all the load from there is transferred to the transverse structure I have been talking about).

On my stern deck, I used 3 beams, on a 30 inch span. 14 inches between the fore and middle beam, and 16 or so between the next set. The front two beams have legs, and the aft one doesn't, and there is no flex back there either. (Look at my stern deck, and ignore the pieces that hold the seat bases - they are there for the bases only).

Keep in mind that I had 1/16 wall, which is rather thin. My local supplier only stocks 1 x 1 with .125 wall, which is REAL strong. I would have cut out a lot of vertical structure if my beams had been made of that (wouldn't have used it for the rest of the structure, as it is so frequent to support my thin deck, not because it couldn't hold).

Hope that helps. I have the feeling I have confused you.

Best way to figure out what sort of span you need is to stress test the pieces you need. Take a few pieces of decking, and lay them out on a couple boards, or pieces of aluminum as your "structure." Vary the dimensions, and stand on the panel, to see if it flexes. When you can bounce on it without much flex, you have your dimensions. Keep in mind that riveting it to the structure tightens it up a significant amount. Do the same with your structure. Stand on a couple pieces that are layed across 2 boards.

Macgyver said:
Quackrstackr said:
Most boat hulls are .100" or thinner. :wink:

yes but your not standing/walking on it ..

Well, I don't levitate. :lol:

Besides designing things of sheet metal and plastics for a living for over 20 years, I have a 1968 1448 Polarkraft that has no decking whatsoever in it. It also does not have anywhere near the support that will probably be put underneath what is being talked about here. And yes, it gets walked on. There is no way to avoid it. I haven't put a foot through it yet and I weigh 250+ lbs.

I see bassboy has verified this with his own build. 3/16" sheet aluminum will work but it will be overkill unless you want to really skimp on the support. Save the extra weight and money and use something thinner.

GadZooks!

bassboy1... you should open a school. Absolutely the last word on aluminum boat deck construction! This site impresses me more and more. I read it every day and have recently worked my way through all the old posts from the beginning of this section.

What bassboy1 posted here should be a sticky. Perhaps put into a Aluminum Boat Mod FAQ.

Here is part of what I am taking from this;

1) .090 should be fine if built smartly but .125 is more desirable. (I will likely go .090 as I am cheap and want this to be as light as possible... I will be carrying this boat a fair bit into back country trout lakes...)

2) 1 x 1 square tubing, with 1/16 wall thickness for bracing.
- every 7 inches Horizontal
- Gussets and vertical bracing combination work well

3) Go with a pneumatic rivet gun if possible

4) Rivets
- Decking and paneling - 1/8 rivets
- Gussets and stress points - 5/32 rivets
- Framing 3/16 rivets

Phase one for me is planing how much material I need. I already know what I want to make - Front and aft casting deck. The front one will house the 2 twelve volt trolling motor batteries and some tackle storage. The aft will have some tackle storage and gas tank access hatch. I want to make the tank removable.

Other unrelated mods will be wiring for the trolling motor, fish finder, radio and lights. All this is a little 14 foot tinny that will be transportable by two men through back country.

:fishing2:

Not sure if this is posted somewhere around here or not, but here is a chart showing sq.ft. weight of different thicknesses of aluminum plate. The deflection rates are interesting as well when comparing the 09 and .125

https://www.anver.com/document/vacuum%20lifters/aluminum_plate_guide.htm

Also, unsealed 3/4 plywood is about 2.13ibs. sq.ft.

Is anyone familiar with Tanza?

I just ran the math on my upcoming project for the DECK ONLY.

Approx 16' x 4' = 64sq.ft

.125 Auminum Plate = 1.76lb/sq.ft. x 64 = 112.64lbs

3/4 plywood (unsealed) = 2.13/sq.ft x 64 = 136.32lbs + 1/2 gallon of sealer = 4.25lbs = 140.57lbs.

Difference 27.93lbs.

Not as dramatic as I would have expected. For me, this decision will be based on longevity vs price, not weight.

Again, this is for the DECK ONLY.

Hope this helps someone else other than me.