Boat paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly_Guy

Reaction score
The majority of my jon boat still has paint on it, but it's very faded. There are spots where there is no paint at all, most high friction areas. I'm going to guess it's the original paint from 1976, but I could be wrong. I'm planning on repainting the whole boat and I somewhat understand that when you paint aluminum it's a different paint totally. I'm not looking for anything shinny, I'm going to be using this boat for a lot of duck hunting, so I'd like to keep it drab. So I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to remove the existing paint or can I paint right over what's there?
2. If I have to remove the existing paint, what's the best way?
3. What type of paint should I use?

Thanks in advance,
FG

you don't have to remove the existing paint, but if you have a cordless power drill, go to walmart and get one of the sanding wire discs that will fit it and get 2 - it will cost you about $5 per pad.

If you're wanting to use drab paint, I would still recommend using a primer, and when you sand the paint with the above mentioned disc, it's etching the aluminum enough to make everything bond. You can use regular spray cans of auto primer, but I would highly recommend finding zinc chromate.. it seals as well as forms a good underlayer for your drab to stick to.

I've used brightside interlux polyurethane paint, but if you're looking for a drab color - i don't think they make this in drab.

You can use rattle cans (regular spray paint), but you can also buy gallons of the drab paint for aluminum boats. The last time I bought a gallon of this was about 3 years ago and it cost nearly $100. Then again, I bought it from a boat dealer and he probably made double off me what it actually costs. You can go to Tractor Supply Company and find tractor paint that will work just as well.

It's best if you put thin, multiple layers of paint on as it will be a better finish and more durable. You can brush it, roll it or spray it on. I recommend spraying it with an air sprayer, but if you don't have one, I would roll it on. You can also brush it on, but I would immediately go behind it with a roller to take out any runs and ripples.

Keep us up to date and take lots of pics of the process and post them! Good luck!