Holes in transom (transducer bracket)..how to patch?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaC40Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's almost official...but it looks like I'll be getting some improved electronics on the boat this spring. Switching from entry-level Humminbird to one of the new Lowrance HDS units. I'm pumped! I do have one concern though, hoping you can help;

I'll be switching transducers which will, obviously, require the mounting of a new bracket and the patching of some old holes. How would you suggest that I do this? I'm tempted to explore the possibility of getting someone who welds aluminum to patch it.....any thoughts? One other question has to do with transducer location. I messed up with the Humminbird..I think. Here is a shot that shows the transducer in the background;

Boat1-1.jpg

Perhaps it was it's proximity to one of the strakes (?...ribs?) underneath..as it was almost directly behind one, or the fact that it was an entry level unit (Piranamax215) but 2 things happened. 1. I got nothing but static at any speed over about 6mph 2. the transducer threw up a wicked rooster tail at speed. :oops: m So, I've done a simple drawing to show my logic (or lack of it) at the time;

TRANSDUCER.jpg

I used Minn Kota's recommendation for distance from the motor, not realizing that it would end up behind the strake. Any closer, I thought, would be an issue. Any further out, it gets close to where the hull starts to curve-up. I've also read that the transducer should be on the port side...is this true? I'm quite confused, and look forward to your responses..if you dare touch this one! :(

im interested on anyone elses knowledge about transducer placement also, as I'll be mounting my own shortly. :?

I'm in the same boat you are with patching transducer holes. My two choices are marine JB weld the holds or just have a buddy patch them with the tig welder. JB weld would be simpler and I know that the previous owner patched a good size crack with JB Weld and it's still holding up after years of hard use.

I've heard of some guys putting a screw or rivet in the old holes and sealing them with some 3m 5200 or JB weld.

My dad used a 3"-4" block of wood (1"x4"). He used 5200 too stick it to the hull and the transducer is screwed into the wood. No holes in your boat. He would also epoxy the block to seal it.

Follow the suggestions the best you can. You want the cleanest water possible. Mine works fine until I cut the boat real sharp to the right and air gets under it. A stake causes turbulence behind it. Hope this helps.

Specknreds said:
My dad used a 3"-4" block of wood (1"x4"). He used 5200 too stick it to the hull and the transducer is screwed into the wood. No holes in your boat. He would also epoxy the block to seal it.

Follow the suggestions the best you can. You want the cleanest water possible. Mine works fine until I cut the boat real sharp to the right and air gets under it. A stake causes turbulence behind it. Hope this helps.

Thats exactly what I did, and I think I got the idea here?

Welding it's your best bet... for a few small holes, you might be looking at paying a few bucks. Or you could always stuff a machine screw through the hole and tighten a nut on it.

crazyeddie said:
Or you could always stuff a machine screw through the hole and tighten a nut on it.
In my opinion, that is your best bet. Think about it, that is what your transducer has now. What difference would it make as far as whether or not a transducer is attached. Patch welding small holes in thin aluminum does not always yield the best results.

I don't like adhering the transducer block to the transom, but using 2 bolts. That way, they are the only 2 holes you drill, and you seal them well, and every time you change transducers, it only puts new holes in the block. I don't really trust the adhesive.

Yeah... I was wondering about just putting the machine screws/nuts back in place. Any other opinions welcome. (holes AND/or transducer location)

Transducer location~anybody have any other ideas? Like I had mentioned, I'm pretty sure the present location has too much disturbance/turbulence..whatever. The 3' high rooster tail the transducer kicks up at speed might be a clue.. :oops:

I'm guessing further from the center/closer to the outside edge..but open to ideas.

Cheers,
Rob

Latest posts