I know this isn't very "Tin" of me, but...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DryFlyRy

Reaction score
I just thought you guys might appreciate it anyways. :wink:

Here are some pics of the kayak I modified last spring.

The way it was when I got it, the half skirt with zipper storage and a cup holder being the first thing I technically added.
n1253654379_71288_2767.jpg

Then I added rod/paddle keepers on each side.
n1253654379_71278_9786.jpg

From there I went with flush-mount rod holders on the back/both sides.
n1253654379_71287_2503.jpg

n1253654379_71281_635.jpg

Then I rigged a "trolly" style anchor system to help position myself in wind/current when anchored.
n1253654379_71280_391.jpg

n1253654379_71289_3032.jpg

n1253654379_71286_2241.jpg

I also ended up trying to water proof the back hatch by building a foam "wall" behind the rod holders out of a piece of insulation and Great Stuff and then added two plastic file/paper organizers from walmart behind the seat to store tackle and a fish net.

Ok, I promise not to post anything un-aluminum again I swear! :wink:

Nice work, sweet set up. One of my favorite setups was my Ocean Kayak 13ft prowler, I had it modified up with fish finder, stabilizers so I could stand up and cast (sort of - still fell in every so often), rod holders, still regret getting rid of it in to buy a canoe for more room!

Does the weight of the anchor tend to make the kayak lean any while "underway"?
I keep the anchor and line on the back of the hatch so its centered when Im not using it. When I want to anchor I'll drop it and clip the line through a carabiner thats attached to the steel ring of the trolly, then I can push or pull the trolly line to change that anchor point depending on which way I want the boat to swing in the wind or current.

Nice work, sweet set up. One of my favorite setups was my Ocean Kayak 13ft prowler, I had it modified up with fish finder, stabilizers so I could stand up and cast (sort of - still fell in every so often), rod holders, still regret getting rid of it in to buy a canoe for more room!
lol, I went the opposite direction, I traded in the canoe for the kayak because the canoe was too cumbersome to load and unload and drag through the woods by my lonesome. Where did you mount your transducer for the fishfinder? or was it a floating transducer? Im thinking of adding one to the yak when my tin project is done.

Nice yak! I would love to get one one day!
They are a must! Its like being in a little fishing tank where everything is just like an extension of your body.

if i ever got a kayak/canoe i would never fish from it just enjoy the excercise
Shame on you! there are little ponds out there that simply can not be fished with out something like a canoe or kayak. For a fisherman to say they wouldn't fish from one is... well, sinful! :cry: [-X One of the best trips I had with it me and a buddy paddled gear across one pond to set up camp, and then dragged out yaks a half hour over a mountain to another pond in accessible by any other means. didn't catch shhh but was one hell of an adventure.

thats the same reason I sold my Canoe. It was a 17' fiberglass and I was NOT able to get it off or on top of my car by myself. I fish by myself 99% of the time so I figured a kayak was the deal. then I found my tinny and it was a no brainer.

l"ol, I went the opposite direction, I traded in the canoe for the kayak because the canoe was too cumbersome to load and unload and drag through the woods by my lonesome. Where did you mount your transducer for the fishfinder? or was it a floating transducer? Im thinking of adding one to the yak when my tin project is done."

I had a hatch in the front where I put a through the hull transducer and mounted the fish finder right betwix my legs on the sit on top kayak. See link:

https://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view.asp?Kayak_Articles=39

That website led to much of my kayak modifing tips much like this one will for my tin boats. I am experiencing your canoe burden I bought it so my 6 year old could go with me (which he doenst all that much) versus the kayak. And am finding I miss the weight and ease of the moving the kayak vs the super wide and stable canoe I bought to replace it.

That's nice work! I like the rod holders too!

I'm not much of a kayaker so I wouldn't know, but isn't it a little tough keeping your balance while fighting a big size fish in that thing?

my 'yak is pretty wide(like 30") so it's pretty stable. It's nice to hang your legs over when you're fishing on a hot day. I'm not big on fishing sitting down though and if I had the room I'd have a decked jon but I need garage space!(I haven't had enough guts to try standing on it yet).

I just this week traded my canoe for a kayak. Canoe was to big to handle alone and my buddies never wanted to get up at 5:30am and go. I like your setup I also have a sit in that I would like to do the same things to and the fish finder. I searched youtube for rigging kayaks and there is guys who go through and show you how to mount fish finders and lots of other stuff (some is just silly but...) Nice work

Attachments

• kayak.jpg
    kayak.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 998
I'm not much of a kayaker so I wouldn't know, but isn't it a little tough keeping your balance while fighting a big size fish in that thing?

hooked a blue fish on a fly out on the ocean... let me tell you: best time of my life!! that thing towed me all over the place... worked out goo though cus he got tired pretty quick :wink:

balance is nothing you gotta worry about... you would have to try to tip yourself over.

DryFlyRy said:

hooked a blue fish on a fly out on the ocean... let me tell you: best time of my life!! that thing towed me all over the place... worked out goo though cus he got tired pretty quick :wink:

balance is nothing you gotta worry about... you would have to try to tip yourself over.

Haha two more things I've never done - go fly fishing and fish on the ocean!

I have kayaked and fished once in a river here in Michigan, and I got myself a big carp on the line. It took off down river and nearly rolled me over! I think it was a combination of being a cheap kayak, and my having no experience fishing and kayaking at the same time :D

DryFlyRy said:
hooked a blue fish on a fly out on the ocean... let me tell you: best time of my life!! that thing towed me all over the place... worked out goo though cus he got tired pretty quick :wink: ...

I have seen enough Sponge Bob Square Pants to say; that just ain't right!! Yer nuts!

LOL!

That must have been scary as hell and real fun at the same time! I hooked into a 14lb Northern Pike (Not that big for northern standards, but big enough!) while I was in one of those little personal inflatable wrap around pontoon rigs where you are up to your armpits in the water with balloons at the top of your hip waders... NEVER again!!!

Those things get real bitchy when they see who has been dragging them by their mouths for the past 10 minutes... like getting kicked in the pills by a girl; not that hard, but awful humiliating! I like a boat between me and the fish I am making angry!

Latest posts