Attention all boat guru

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavygauge

Reaction score
Ok now that I have your attention. I am a boat building newbie and I need some advise. Last year I bought a Alumacraft 12 foot semi-v. (with the money I had saved for a engagement ring for my girl) I searched for what seemed like forever and found it in the hills of west virginia. The guy, who could barely walk let alone fish, said he haden't used it since his fishing buddy died over 10 years ago. Other than a soft transom this boat was cherry from being stored in a she all this time. Anyways, I used it all last summer with clamp on seats and it sucks. I would like to build a deck on it with some pedistal seats my question is can I? The boat is really wide 48" at the transom and 53 at the oar locks but it is shallow. I have come up with a design on how I would like it setup but would it better to floor it and mount the seats on the bench or get a new boat. I really love this boat its sturdy, stable no holes, no patches no paint (still aluminum color). Would would be my best options. I really only run electric lakes. Also I can find a trailer anywhere the harbor freight trailer is affordable trailer but is it good?

:WELCOME:
Thanks for joining! :beer:

Depending on how wide the baot is, a deck would be perfect. Pedestal comy seats are also the way to go for all day comfort. Post up a few pics for a better idea!

Anyone here including myself would be glad to help, modified my 12' v hull last summer. Here's a link of my modification below (hit on the slideshow), maybe you can steal some ideas. I had no trouble mounting pedestal seats with 13 inch posts, or putting in decent decking. I prefer the v-hull because it can take the waves on a lake better than most flat Jonboats, I really love my little 12 footer, awesome for two guys to fish. Post some pics bro! D. 8) https://photobucket.com/Delmonte67

ok hope this helps. I also noticed that the sticker says 2 people 310 pounds what exactly does that mean? because 2 people gear motor and gas could easly be almost twice that.

Attachments

• DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 398
heavygauge said:
Also I can find a trailer anywhere the harbor freight trailer is affordable trailer but is it good?

I've got the trailer you are talking about. It works great for my needs. I have changed a few things on it though including bunks - but you have a v-hull, and my boat is a flat bottom.

One thing they need added is a swivel jack stand - $40 can get you a good one

russ010 said:
One thing they need added is a swivel jack stand - $40 can get you a good one
Heck, 18 bucks at Northern tool will get you a 750 pound capacity jack that is more than adequate. I have had about 4 of these, on various weight trailers, and they are just fine. Heck, your boat probably doesn't weigh 750 pounds, much less the trailer tongue.

yea, my 40 was a typo... it was supposed to say 30, but even then 18 is good.

I got one of those from WalMart on clearance for 18... if it's not dead on center when you put it on, the wheel will not turn to the direction your pushing the boat

Latest posts