The new kid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBTravisD

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm Travis and I just bought my first jon boat! (sounded like I am in an AA meeting) It is a 10' flat bottom, I plan to put a decent sized trolling motor on it and use it in Back Bay wildlife refuge in Virginia Beach. Water is mostly 18" to 5' deep so this should work out perfect.

The kid that previously owned it put a "deck" on it and told me it was an 8' boat. To my surprise it was a 10' and I have already taken the deck off (it made it real tipsy). I know it is a 10 footer and not much room, but I want to add some bench seats with storage and maybe a spot for my battery. Also the hull kinda flexes when I stepped in it, this normal? Is there anything I can do to strengthen it? I am trying to keep it light enough for 2 guys to carry. I would greatly appreciate any pointer and pictures of decks or storage you guys did to your boats! Here are a couple of pictures the PO took.

Attachments

• 3k63md3l91fa1491ga91a30b8dda151b31594.jpg
    3k63md3l91fa1491ga91a30b8dda151b31594.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 2,543
  • 3k43m83o112813c14191a86c6189c5d4f1bd3.jpg
    3k43m83o112813c14191a86c6189c5d4f1bd3.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,543
I noticed there are not any structural ribs in it, so it will flex when you step in it... that would be my first area to tackle, and that will lead into your decking.

If you can work with aluminum, that would be the route to go (if not, use 2x2 for framing). Frame your decks low, and the aluminum (or 2x2) should span across gunwhale to gunwhale, and this will enforce the rigidity issues. You can then lay a sheet of 1/2" ply on top of that to use as decks. You can have little storage spaces between your framing.

In the rear, if this is where you're going to put your Trolling motor, just put the battery back there with that.

As far as seats, I would put the 7" pedestals like you get at wal-mart to put on top of the benches. You can cut out top sections of the bench and add some extra storage spaces.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

Good call removing the deck!

I would first tackle a floor and then 2 comfortable pedestal seats. That will make a killer fishing machine.

I figured I could cut doors in the tops of the benches and make that storage space. Yeah, I plan to run the trolling motor off the stern. How did you guys attach your framing to the hull itself? The thought of drilling holes kinda freaks me out when it comes to something that is supposed to be water tight. It sucks, I can weld, just not aluminum...

I just have my decks wedged in... most people attach them to the ribs, but since you don't have any, you can wedge it in. It might be easier with 2x2 framing for that. Once you get your floors in, you can screw 1x2 strips alog the top of the deck and into the sides of the benches, that will keep them in place.

One other thing that may be a good idea is to put 1/2" plywood on top of your benches after you cut out top sections. That will give you more bracing for the sides and provide you some "beef" to screw your pedestals into.

I'm Travis and I just bought my first jon boat! (sounded like I am in an AA meeting)

You may need to be pretty soon: Alumaholic's Anonymous. :D As I'm realizing this can be quite the addiction. I'm sure my girl would agree. :wink:

Thanks for the warm welcome! And I hope you guys have some patience with me and all my newbie questions.

Russ, I figure I head your suggestion and will use 2x2 to frame out a deck. Do you guys worry at all about any water in the hull and the framing? I realize that there is a drain plug in the bottom, but I dunno, maybe just worrying over nothing. Okay, so to recap... a 2x2 frame with a ply wood deck (the whole bottom of the boat?) Then on top of the deck I can build my benches, and attach the benches to the sides of the boat, thus keeping the deck in place... Will all this make the boat more structurally sound without having any sort of ribbing?

Once again, sorry to ask so many silly questions...

Travis - no question is silly on this site - that's what's so great about it!

I just realized you don't have any benches do you? Only the 2x4 or 2x6 that stretch across... If that's the case, here's how I would deck it if it were mine.

In the bow of the boat where it starts to level into the floor - this is where I would make my deck, and if there are no benches, then run it all the way to the rear stopping shy of the transom by about 12"... this will give you room for your battery and a few other things like anchors and such.

I would take the 2x2 and run them perpendicular to the length of your boat, with 1 2x2 spaced every 18". This will give you about 8' to work with for decking (start 1 foot from front of boat, then stop 1 foot short of the transom). That will be about 6 actual 2x2 braces placed 16" on center. I would measure each board and cut them one at a time because I doubt each will be the same length - remember, you want them wedged in there since you don't have anything to attach them to.

After getting a dry cut fit for them, measure for your 2x2 braces which will run in between each of your cross braces you just dry cut. I would put them about 2" from the gunwhales on each side, and 1 on each side of the center line of the boat about 12" apart. I wouldn't put any benches higher than that on a 10' boat because it can be unstable, and the last thing you want to do is flip over in the water when you rare back on a big hawg!

Once you have all of your framing done, I would use 1/2" ply because of the size of the boat and the amount of bracing - this will be plenty of support for you.

Seats... I would use 12" pedestal seats like you can get at walmart (black with 3" diameter pedestal). I would use bolts and nuts to mount those to the deck. But since you are using 1/2" ply, make sure you cut another piece of ply about 12" long by 8" wide to fit between the center braces and put that under the main floor. That will be 1" of "beef" for your pedestal to mount to. Same goes for the rear seat.

As far as adding storage... you can cut out sections between the frames of your floor and use piano hinges so you can open and close them. I don't know what the bottom width is of your floor, so it's hard to tell you the dimensions for that out of my head, but honestly, it's probably not going to be that much room becaue you'll probably only have about 4-5" underneath the deck. One thing you can do is make you a center bench (not to put seats on) and use that for storage. Just make sure that when you put the hinges on it you do it so that the lids open from the rear... you don't want to be going down the road and the wind blow up your lids!

Battery in the rear... you can build another bench at the transom for storage of your battery and other things like life jackets, anchors, etc.. Just make sure you leave a section in the middle open for where your trolling motor will attach.

You asked about water and such... it would be best to use some type of water sealant or deck paint to paint all of your wood.. this will help deter wood rot and moisture build up and will let your decking last a while longer. Be sure to use NON PRESSURE TREATED ply when you do this. You want to use exterior plywood because pressure treated has copper and it doesn't mix with aluminum very well.

Once you get the wood off/out of your boat, take more pictures, because everything I wrote could be changed up quite a bit depending on a few things... but hopefully this will give you an idea of which way you need to be heading.

Thanks for the good info! I have just about snatched all the 2x4's off the thing but it has been rainy and cold down here so I haven't got any pictures of the thing yet. I will snap some and post up the first chance I get.

What should I use to fill the screw holes in the sides of the boat?

cool, thanks.... See I have a 220 mig welder, but I am used to mild steel not aluminum so I am weary of trying to weld on my boat. It sucks not even having ribs to start with but ahwell... Where does everyone get their carpet from?

If you want to use that MIG welder to do the job, you should probably use wire like .035" diameter 4043 aluminum alloy. 5356 aluminum alloy is a little stiffer and rolls easier, but I doubt you'd be able to get the right amount of amperage to make a good weld.

I got my carpet at Lowes. If you look back on their racks, they should have a ton of carpet on the end caps that are remnants from rolls when they reach the end. They guess how much carpet is there and just stick a price on it. I got a 16' roll, 6' wide for $18... they didn't know what was there but I was sure there was more than they estimated. Just make sure whatever you get has rubber backing.

just a reminder but your probably know, if your going to weld your boat you need to change the gas and wire

good look'n boat anywho, cant wait to see what it ends up like

I think I will just stick with a sandable/paintable putty/epoxy. I am comfortable welding on my jeep, but not my boat! haha. man, this site is HORRIBLE!!! All I have done for the last 2 days is look at ya'lls boats... totally killed my productivity at work! :mrgreen:

And if anyone else has more tips or advice and definitely post up some pictures to give me ideas! ...'preciate it...

Is that trailer in the picture for this boat? If you dont have a trailer I would do like Russ said but I would use as much aluminum angle or tubing as possible for the sake of lifting in and out of a truck bed. Just a thought. Also in the meantime what if you used coolers to sit on as well as storage?

Nope, no trailer. I will be throwing this thing in and out of the bed of my truck for the time being, so I am trying to keep it as light as possible. I took a quick look at it yesterday afternoon and I do have 1 rib! woo hoo! looks like the PO took all the rest out. I will take some pictures this afternoon and see what you guys suggest.

Welp, I finished taking off the deck. I have some holes to patch. I also included pictures of the PO's "repair" job back at the stern. I figure I will use some of that sandable/paintable epoxy to fix it... if anyone has any other tips... please post up!

I figure 2 benches with storage, framed out of aluminum. A deck between the 2 benches and a small platform at the bow (not for standing). Maybe use some of that rubberized coating for the areas not decked. I am sure the plan will change 5 or 6 times. How did you guys attach your framing to the boat?

Onto the pictures:

P1000972.jpg

P1000974.jpg

P1000977.jpg

P1000980.jpg

P1000987.jpg

I think what you have there would be the way to go.

As far as the front floor, just put you down a piece of ply that sits level from the bottom of your front board to the middle bench. You don't want to deck any higher than that.... I would put a pedestal seat in the middle of that, or if you aren't doing seats, you could always just sit on the bench

Latest posts