first mods underway

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agengo02

Reaction score
i was tinkering around in the garage today between work and school and saw a piece of 3/4" marine grade carpeted plywood (previous owner was a duck hunter and he left LOTS of little stuff :mrgreen:). i pulled off the old carpet, took some measurements, and cut out the first piece of my flooring! fits good but will get good and snug once i put carpet. thinking about using 1" aluminum square tubing for all of the bracing (front casting deck and underneath floor) or i may just use the rest of some 1x2's that he left also. the 1x2's fit well and cover more area so ill probably keep those. i also got some of the rustoleum camo spray paint and started spraying. got a seat and the original small casting deck which is staying open sprayed with some od green. looks really good so far. paycheck comes on thursday so im getting a battery and taking her out on the water this weekend.

transom issues:
as i was trying to tear out the old transom (was able to flake alot of it off) i ran into a problem. well 8 of them to be exact. i cant for the life of me figure out how to get the old rivets out! broke 2 drill bits trying to back them out. im pretty limited on tools (drill, sawzall, and a skill saw is about it) so anyone have any ideas on getting them out?

thanks and ill try to have some pics posted soon of my progress.

Sounds good! Where are you located that you can take a boat out this time of year - solid ice around here in PA.

As far as the rivets, you shoudl be able to drill those out - if you are breaking bits it is because you are putting too much pressure on the drill - you are drilling metal so take your time and let the bit do the work. You need enough pressure to keep from just polishing the hole, but not so much the bit gets red hot, sticks and breaks. So long as you are making metal shavings and metal dust you are doing fine.

I also suggest adding a few drops of oil to keep the bit from burning up. You can buy cutting oil, but for this application any oil will work, start with a drop or two and then add a drop every 30 seconds or so as you go. Take your time and you will get through those rivets.

Also, try to drill at lower RPM - if you cannot adjust the RPM drill for 10-15 seconds and then let teh bit cool for a few seconds. Otherwise you are gonna burn teh edge off teh bit.

Finally, if you have them use at least a Cobalt Drill-bit. If not, slow and steady will get teh job done.

im in southeast texas. it was 75 and sunny today! well they were really cheap bits, but i was trying to force too much. im going to get a nice set but will look for a cobalt bit. probably use a bigger one too. so will the bit go through the head too, or do i just need to go in a little bit to loosen the rivit?

agengo02 said:
im in southeast texas. it was 75 and sunny today! well they were really cheap bits, but i was trying to force too much. im going to get a nice set but will look for a cobalt bit. probably use a bigger one too. so will the bit go through the head too, or do i just need to go in a little bit to loosen the rivit?

Just enough to wear out the rivet - smaller is always easier when drilling metal

Plus - you do not want to make the hole any larger if you can help it

**** - it is 16* here

Captain Ahab said:
agengo02 said:

Just enough to wear out the rivet - smaller is always easier when drilling metal

Plus - you do not want to make the hole any larger if you can help it

**** - it is 16* here

I'm always doing this and you may take this as being trivial. but, if you hold the alt key and on the keypad type 0321456 (alt+0321456) then release the alt key you get this ° =D>

it's 30° here

I wrote a thread on transom replacement, but the pics are no longer there #-o Guess I need to fix that. Anyway here is a pic of what I did to the rivets.
100_1181.jpg

I cut an X in them with a dremel cut off wheel. Then took an old chisel to shear them off. You may be able to shear them off with just a chisel.

Good idea Fowlmood

I thought of that but was worried that one miss hit with the chisel and yo put a nice dent (or worse) in the aluminum hull.

If you do use the chisel method be very careful that you do not deform the area around the rivet

no chisel or dremel tool over here! depending on how tired i am when i get off tonight i may swing by lowes on the way home and pick up some decent bits and give it another go.

also before you drill take a awl or punch with a needle point and take a hammer and tap it in the middle of the rivet. this will give you a good start for your drill bit and prevent it from wandering around

I have always just drilled most of the head off then gave the center a wack with a center punch. that drives it right out the back side. all you really need to do is weaken one side of the rivet.

welp the mods have to be put on hold for a little bit. just got back from the er and i have bronchitis, pneumonia, viral infection, and a sinus infection. i have to lay low for several days...

Latest posts