Carpet backing ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone4140

Reaction score
I am just about to the stage were I want to order or buy some carpet.For convenience sake I was going to but it at the depot its close to my house. They have a good selection of indoor/outdoor carpet but few options with the rubber backing. The only one is green. Anyways, they have a bunch that look good w/o that backing. I plan on gluing either way. How much does that rubber do. Is it worth tracking some down that has that rubber on the back. I water sealed all the plywood.

stone4140 said:
I am just about to the stage were I want to order or buy some carpet.For convenience sake I was going to buy it at the depot its close to my house. They have a good selection of indoor/outdoor carpet but few options with the rubber backing. The only one is green. I need tan for the project. Anyways, they have a bunch that look good w/o that backing. I plan on gluing either way. How much does that rubber do. Is it worth tracking some down that has that rubber on the back. I water sealed all the plywood.

Do you have a Lowes in the area? They will have the right stuff. I would say the backing is very important. The stuff without the backing just won't hold up well.

Ya I do have a lowes but I am pretty sure they only had it in gray. I really need a tan color to finish it up right. Maybe I'll check west marine I have one about 1/2 hour from me. Thanks

They will order the color you need, doesn't take too long to come in if there's no ultra rush

Worth it to wait, it really is the right stuff. The back is almost more of a nylon back than rubber, it's not "rubberized" in the sense of padding or cushion, just so you know. I glue it directly to the wood.

Ya I checked their website and westmarine was a little silly. I called Lowes and they can order it but I have to get a minimum of 6X20. But that is still way cheaper than getting 6X15 anywhere else I have seen. I'm going to call a couple other places but I imagine I'll just go with the 6X20 and have some extra. Thanks

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!
images

Learn something from my mistake! I bought outdoor carpet from Lowe's, 'cause it was cheap, and I figured that if it would last on a cement patio, it would last on my deck. Guess what, it lasts just great, but if you get a treble hook within 2" of it, you will need pliers to get it out. Make sure whatever you get does NOT have loops that can catch a hook. :(

I used the outdoor grey from Homedepot and it is holding up great.I haven't had much of a problem with the hooks but they will get hung in the loops. would be better off with out loops but I went for cheaper cause I plan on selling next spring.

Well went to the depot yesterday. They actually had a good selection of special order "rubber" backed carpet. Also they don't have a minimum order or charge for special ordering it. It's about double the price of the instore stuff but it looks and feels far more durable and it has a nice thick backing. Thanks for all the suggestions they were just what I needed to make my choice. =D>

my first boat i bought marine carpet from a car/boat detail shop, and the underneath wasn't rubber lined. it had a nylon weave to it. it also wasn't looped and when it got wet from rain or dew it dried in about an hour of sunlight. hope this helps on your decision.

I have researched carpet for my glass bas rig for some time now and here are my thoughts if you already have not purchased it.
Bass Pro, Cabelas, West Marine etc... are too expensive and they dont have the good carpet. The top bass boat manufacturers get there carpet from 2 places. One is www.capricarpet.com and I cant think of the other right now. They are very nice people and will surely help you get the right product. There prices are great and its the real deal. Like I said the top boat manufacturers use this carpet, bass cat, ranger, champion. The 20 OZ an 24 OZ is what you want.

clarker2000 said:
I have researched carpet for my glass bas rig for some time now and here are my thoughts if you already have not purchased it.
Bass Pro, Cabelas, West Marine etc... are too expensive and they dont have the good carpet. The top bass boat manufacturers get there carpet from 2 places. One is https://www.capricarpet.com and I cant think of the other right now. They are very nice people and will surely help you get the right product. There prices are great and its the real deal. Like I said the top boat manufacturers use this carpet, bass cat, ranger, champion. The 20 OZ an 24 OZ is what you want.

never even thought about going there - that is like an hour from my house and right next door to where I bought my hardwood flooring. You can actually haggle the price with them in person - I'm sure you could do the same thing over the phone

i work in a carpet store and a type called v-lock on my boat.its cheap comes with or without rubber backing and hooks very rarely get hung in it.i my self dont like the rubber backing because its so hard to get off if you decide to change.

Welcome Aboard, pitdog! Would have a contact link to post for the v-lock you mentioned? It might prove beneficial for members that may want to check it out for future mods/refits. Thanks.

8)

Latest posts