help with 12ft jon boat decking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxracing9328

Reaction score
I have a 12ft jon boat and want to putting decking on it but dont know if it will be stable to stand on. Any one have any ideas or know if it will be stable. thanks

I have a 12 and a 16 my 16 is decked but the 12 is way to unstable. how wide is the bottom of your boat? can you post some pics?

I will try to get the measurements this week somtime the boat is not at my house. I want to say its around 48 but not positive i will go take measurments this week though to make sure. I apprciate for helping me out.

Deff looks good i like that alot. I figured if i did the decking lower it would be more stable.

Deff looks good i like that alot. I figured if i did the decking lower it would be more stable.

I have started fishing a lot now with no seat on the front deck. I can control the trolling motor while I stand. I will say whether you are standing or sitting on you boat - if you start in 5th or the highest speed, make sure it's facing straight. You don't know how many times I've forgotten to take the speed back down and tap the motor to move a little... that little tap almost sent me into the water numerous times

russ i was checking you pics out and was wondering were you got the seats that you can raise up and lower. thanks

alright i will do that. Also i was wondering how you mount the decking in the back and front. plan on starting on it this weekend pretty excited about it. also like to thank you for the help

I used 2x2 strips as "legs" for my front platform. I wanted to be able to take the pedestals in and out with ease, so they are removable and not actually attached to the boat. The only things attached to the boat are the following..

1 - 1x2 strip in the front side of the front bench to keep the deck from rising up. I didn't have this problem with the large seat pedestal, but when I put the offset pedestal in there, it made the front rise up a little bit.

1 - 1x2 on the rear middle bench for the deck to rest on. I only put this here as a precautionary measure incase any of my legs broke. Not really needed, but it give me some assurance should the inevitable happen.

Rear deck - This is just sitting on top of the ribs. You can look through my post to see how I have it braced and then the plywood notched to fit around the ribs on the side walls.

alright deff like your ideas. and you boat looks good to so hopfully i can get started on this before i go on my fishing trip.