New 14ft boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifesaball18

Reaction score
Alright well i got a new 14fter, i feel like i paid a lil more than what it was worth but oh well. I paid 200.00 and it has some bad damage on where the transom connects to the hull.
that is the inside, its a little dirty
IMG_0594.jpg
this is the whole inside, well most of it.
IMG_0587.jpg
thats the damge on the transom showing on the inside to the out.
IMG_0578.jpg
thats what the rip is when its flipped over, hullside up.
IMG_0569.jpg
I think somone tried to weld it, but im planning on buying a grinder to put in a drill and grind it down a little bit. the guy i bought it from was annoying he was acting like we knew all about it! He was telling me what kind a boat it was and that it was made from a heavy duty steel, and that its called a depp V... it was a trip alright.

its 39'' wide at the transom bottom, i didnt measure gunwale to gunwale, but its narrow, so i think i might fix the gashes, and then just sell it again for 100.00 more.

Anyway what o you think the best way to clean it up a bit would be?
Im gonna grind down the welded spots a bit, im still trying to figure out what im gonna do witht he gash on the transom but help from ya'll is appreciated. If you have any q. just ask!

You can clean it with some purple power, stiff brush and a water hose. If you had a pressure washer, that would be easier

Sorry my brain ran ahead of my fingers, not actually clean it up but to fix it up. Like for instance i was thinking using something like almuiweld on the big gash in the transom.

I should have known that... I don't see why you couldn't use alumiweld.. but I would think it might be easier if you put a thin piece of aluminum over that gash, and weld it to the boat instead of trying to mend what you have - but it may work... I just don't know. I do know that when you use alumiweld, you heat the surface, not the stick - that's why I'm not sure if that would work or not

Edit == I should have looked at the pictures again.. I would think that alumiweld would work after looking at the pictures. but it looks like someone already tried that.. are you going to be putting an outboard motor on this? I'm not sure if that weld would help you out much in that case.

I've used aluminum epoxy pretty successfully, but it was to fill holes, not gashes like you have - but I see now reason why it wouldn't work. This is the stuff I used - https://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/p...4&gdftrk=gdfV2348_a_7c404_a_7c1148_a_7c252704

AWWWWW shoot.You can polish them dar spots right out.Just need a little elbo grease and some of granny's miracle polish.
:LOL22:

Seriously tho,I would take it to some one that could tig weld the hull and re-enforce it.I wouldn't patch it and then sell it.That could be a liability issue.

Alrighty... well the damage was a bit more extensive than what i realized when i bought it but, id rather me buy it than a kid who is buying his first boat and then takes it home and realizes he blew all his money on a piece of junk, or takes it out and it sink and he either dies or looses his motor, both can be equally traumatizing...jk.

Heres some more pics.... how does jb weld feel after use is it kinda krumbly or what? I looked into having it welded, i got a few estimates i got stuff from 250 to 75.00. PER HOUR!!! Im looking to go a bit cheaper than that. I thot i might use russ' stuff, at least give it a shot, but jb-weld i can get real easy so i was wondering how it sets up and what you think about using that, it looks like someone use a gas tank repair kit on the gash on the bow of the boat. That seemed to work ok, but he did it sloppily so i took it off ... ill leave the kit as a last resort tho.
IMG_0599.jpg
this is the gash in the front
IMG_0600.jpg
so is this
IMG_0606.jpg
thats the gash on the transom, still havent figured out what to do about that... yikes!

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 869
I dont know about using the epoxy I was talking about in a place like that - especially when it's that big. Seems like you might have a little structural integrity issues goin on there. It might actually be worth having someone repair it.

As far as JB Weld - I would use the stuff I recommended first - it's actually made for the repair of aluminum as opposed to JB weld which is an all purpose

If you plan on putting an outboard motor on it, I wouldn't do anything except for a weld

Yeah thats kinda what i was afraid of... maybe i can talk the guy down to do it for 50.00 per hour

it shouldn't take him that long... what will take the most time will probably be him changing his setup to weld aluminum - unless he already has a dedicated aluminum welder.

most people I've talked to have spent like $50 total to get repairs like that done. Keep looking around to find someone who can weld it for you

Ok thanks... he said that the longest part that'd take him is cleaning it, so im gonna get all the crap that the guy b4 me used to try and "save" him as much time as possible

Aluminum hulls flex and JB Weld will pop right out like a bad bondo job.It wouldn't take an hour to weld those up and it will probably be stronger than before.

lifesaball18 said:
Ok thanks... he said that the longest part that'd take him is cleaning it, so im gonna get all the crap that the guy b4 me used to try and "save" him as much time as possible

something that will help with this is one of those sanding discs with the wire intertwined in it from walmart. It goes in a battery operated drill or battery powered drill and works wonders. It's like $5, and should help you out alot.

Well i posted it on craigslist to a buyer with a welder and he paid 250 for it so i actually made money and am saving up for another one i see in better shape... that worked out good!

Latest posts