new here, some 1436 questions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deermaster

Reaction score
first of all i have to say this site looks AWESOME. cant wait to do some reading, and maybe get a question or 2 answered. i am looking for a boat to fish in saltwater, either protected water or open water on calm days, and duck hunting. i will not be any further from shore than 30 yards or so, no deeper than 6', and while safety is a definate and real concern, i will not be in deep, rough, windy water. i need a boat that is affordable, and is light enough to be towed in a small car, and can be pushed, id be happy at 5-10 mph, with a small outboard. the 2 boats i am looking at are the lowe and tracker 1436 riveted hull jon boats. the load they will be carrying will be 2 people, 400 lbs total, and maybe 50 lbs of gear, including gas. so 450 lbs, WITHOUT the motor. so here are my questions.
1) i have asked on a couple of duck hunting sites, and nearly 100% of the answers i have gotten go like this: a 1436 is a deathtrap, already shaped like a coffin, perfect boat....to die in, if you fart, it will flip on you, if so much as a ripple goes across the water, you will sink, and on and on. i know these arent white water boats, but can they safely fish and hunt 2 people, SITTING DOWN AT ALL TIMES, in calm open water, or sheltered water?
2) the total weight capacity is 550 lbs, but the person, gear capacity is only 350. both me and my brother weigh 400 lbs together, and will have another 50 lbs in gear and gas. BUt the motor i will be using weighs in the 70 lb range, so we are still under the total capacity. is that ok?
3) the 1436 boats cost around 700$, but a 1442 shoots up well over 1200$. i am in college right now, so i cant afford anything bigger than a 1436, so its either the 1436 or nothing. would you go with the 1436 or the nothing?

thanks, i really appreciate any help. most everybody has tried to talk me out of the 1436, but then one person explained it like this. the people who say a 1436 is unsafe are like the guys who use a .338 for deer hunting. a .243 (1436) will do it every time if you know how to use it ans respect it.
i am used to a canoe, and the conditions i will be hunting and fishing in would be safe in a canoe, i just want more room and range. so will a 1436 do what a canoe can? will is do more?
thanks for your time, mike.

Welcome to Tinboats!!

Where are you from? This will help us help you.

Judging by the prices you gave, you are looking at new boats. Have you considered a used one? I've seen some really good deals lately. Depending on where you are from, check Academy Sports. They have the best deal I've seen on rivet hulls.

People have used a 1436 around here for years hunting and fishing. I would go as wide as you can afford.

Saltwater use: be very careful!!! I fish a lot out of a 1448 semi-V in saltwater. When you go to cross a 20 + acre marsh pond it can get really rough in an instant. In the morning it's glassy smooth and by lunch I've seen 2-3 footers in the ponds.

In my opinion, a 1436 would not be my first choice either. It can be done safely with proper planning and using your head.

im from the eastern shore of va. i see ALOT of used 10-12' boats for sale, on craigslist and in local papers, but 14-16 footers are much more rare, so i was planning on spending the money for a new one if necessary, but i dont have a problem with used if i can find the right size. i work on the water crabbing to pay for college, and know what you mean about the weather change. its still amazes me what can happen in 5 minutes, even after 5 years. i will be no more than one mile from the ramp in open water at all times. i just have no experience in boats other than the 24' seahawk we crab from, and i have no idea what to expect from a little 14' jon.
some more info on the kind of water ill be in:
sheltered to semi open marsh
6' deep or less
one mile or less from the ramp, 30 yards or less from the shore
thanks again, mike.

Having fished the Eastern Shore (I mostly fish the DE Bay - but do make it south a few times each year) I say do not waste your money on that small a boat. You can certainly use it on the nice days with little wind - but how many days like that do you get especially during waterfowl season?

I have a number of friends on in DelMarva and surrounding area and will keep a lookout for a nice 16-18 footer for you.

Thanks for joining and good luck

definitely no bay fishing, the areas i would be fishing look more like this, and the places i duck hunt are much more sheltered:
https://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/saltwater%20marsh-jj-001.jpg
https://www.ussailing.net/mcsc/Marsh%20Creek%20Lake.jpg
the second pic is about as extreme as i would go. please dont think i am trying to talk you into telling me its ok, i just wanted you to see what i would be in. i know from experience an open area like pic 2 can get real snotty fast, but with common sense, and staying close to the shore, and an eye on the weather, do these pics change anything?

deermaster said:
definitely no bay fishing, the areas i would be fishing look more like this, and the places i duck hunt are much more sheltered:
https://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/saltwater%20marsh-jj-001.jpg
https://www.ussailing.net/mcsc/Marsh%20Creek%20Lake.jpg
the second pic is about as extreme as i would go. please dont think i am trying to talk you into telling me its ok, i just wanted you to see what i would be in. i know from experience an open area like pic 2 can get real snotty fast, but with common sense, and staying close to the shore, and an eye on the weather, do these pics change anything?

I am still sticking with original advice - I think you would be safe with a 14 boat - I am looking more to the fact that you are really limiting when and where you can go. If all you were doing was fishing I say go with the 14 footer. throw waterfowl into the mix (cold temps and snotty days are great for ducks geese and those who hunt them) and you are going to be upset becuase of the limited days and areas you can hunt.

I agree with everyone else.I think a flat bottom could be a little unnerving in a bay.Check out the Tracker Guide V-16.I don't know why they don't have it listed on the website.It used to be listed. https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3141

thanks alot for saving me some money. i was looking for an answer and got it. thanks for your time, mike.

one more question. is it the lenght, width or both i need to up? would a 1448 be alot better choice or just save for a 1648, or go with a v hull? thanks, mike.

1448 would be better and 1648 would be best.When you're crabbin put out the word at local marinas about what you're looking for.Never know what might turn up cheap.Also look for, or ask about,a bulliten board where you can post an add.

deermaster said:
thanks alot for saving me some money. i was looking for an answer and got it. thanks for your time, mike.
DO U HUNT WITH DOGS IN VA i no alot of people do jus wondering cuz im like the only 1 here that hunts deer with dogs lol

i dont personally hunt deer with dogs, but it is legal here, and i have no problem with it. if i ever got the chance to, id jump on it.
ill keep looking for used boats, and i do think there is a good chance ill find what im looking for by the end of the summer. thanks again for the help, mike.

Latest posts