UPDATE/PICS Seat brackets on a 14' shallow V hull Sea King

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
Hi guys, been a LONG time between visits & postings for me :oops: . Anyway, I'm still in the planning stages of my boat modification. What I want to know is, my bench seats have the metal slots (3/4") that are riveted to the side of the boat for the bench seat board to slide into. Bolted to the top of the bench seat board & then bolted to the top edge of the side of the boat is a metal bracket (not angle iron). If I want to put topside decking on the boat I'd either have to work around them or take them out completely (then there is the strength issue). Which would you suggest? *Note The bench seats have NO floor supports (strickly side groves & that aforementioned bracket). Thanks

Boatmotorbowpics014.jpg

I would keep them. They (well with wood in them) are what keep your hull from folding in half. Just use them to help support your decking.

DryFlyRy said:
sounds like you have something similar to me. you can see how i approached it here: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5923&start=40

Man you are doing one kick A** job on that boat! =D> I looked at all your pics & I probably will incorporate many of the ideas you have done. So are you completely removing those aforementioned brackets or when you get all done simply re-bolting them down to the top of your new deck? Btw, what about rod storage? I am still thinking of going with a tiller style front mounted trolling motor with the bracket device all the foot controlled models have- MUCH easier outfit to manage when it's time to pull up & move with the main engine imo. Speaking of engines, what's the HP on yours (couldn't make it out)?
:mrgreen: Anxious to see the final product.

DryFlyRy wrote:
sounds like you have something similar to me. you can see how i approached it here: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5923&start=40

Man you are doing one kick A** job on that boat! I looked at all your pics & I probably will incorporate many of the ideas you have done. So are you completely removing those aforementioned brackets or when you get all done simply re-bolting them down to the top of your new deck? Btw, what about rod storage? I am still thinking of going with a tiller style front mounted trolling motor with the bracket device all the foot controlled models have- MUCH easier outfit to manage when it's time to pull up & move with the main engine imo. Speaking of engines, what's the HP on yours (couldn't make it out)?
Anxious to see the final product.

Thanks for the compliments! The seat to gunwale braces on there i was originally going to keep and screw them into the top of the deck for added supprt... however, When i tried to remove the ones in the back they were all rusted and wouldnt budge,and when I went to just bend them out of the way i ended up busting a nut... errr that didnt sound right. #-o SO after I saw how much cleaner the deck looked without them, and that it was pretty **** sturdy as is, I think I have decided to start busting nuts all over the place so to speak... and just have the "slotted" brackets take most of the load, and the posts handle the rest. Rod storge is under the front deck on either side of the live well accessed through little hatch doors, I am also able to fit both oars under there too, so everything will be nice and hidden. Great idea with the foot controled tm bracket for a tiller tm!! I may have to steal this from you as I have a foot controled tm out back that has no stearing cables but a perfectly good mounting bracket!! :-k The ob is a 1971 evinrude sportwin 9.5hp... I was getting around 10 mph before i started, Im sure I'll be down to 6 or 7 after all the added weight, not a biggy tho, im not out to race, just putz around the local ponds and lakes. if it really becomes annoying, I may upgrade to a 20, but we'll see...

Latest posts