some more 1436 jon questions....i appreciate your patience!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deermaster

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback on my last thread about the 1436. as you probably know, i want a boat for fishing and duck hunting. i will have 2 people and very minimal gear, about 450 lbs including gas, not including a motor. most everyone agreed that the 1436 was not a good choice for what i want - fishing and hunting small saltwater creeks, NO bay or big open water fishing, i will be very close to shore at all times, 20-30 yards at the most, water 6' deep or less.
the stability of the 36" bottom will not bother me, all i have really hunted and fished from in the past is a 17' canoe, and i am very comfortable in it. i will be using the 1436 in the same conditions i feel safe in in a canoe, i am just tired of paddling.
the reason i dont want to go with a 1448 or 1648 is the weight of it, and my little car to pull it, the price of it, and the price of an outboard big enough to push it. so that is why i really want to go with the 1436.
the side height of the 1436 is what i am worried about, being 17" rather than 19" like the 1448, so i was wondering if a frame could be built around it, raising the side height 2-3", just to keep any spray from washing in, NOT to increase its weight capacity. is that a rediculous idea? i was given several pictures of a boat like this, and was wondering how well it would work....?

so to sum it up, can the sides be raised up 2-3" to help keep spay out (something like this but not as fancy https://www.duckboats.net/farris1.htm ), and can a 1436 carry 2 people safely in slightly windier than canoe conditions?
thanks for your patience! i am not trying to beat a dead horse and promise to drop the 1436 ideas after this thread :roll: :wink: . thanks for your time.

nothing that complicated, just make em outta exterior plywood. thanks for the info on your boat, sounds very similar to the load i would be carrying.

I fish 2 out of my 1436 all the time. Wind gets up good at times. I get worried if it starts white capping. Thats time to be off the water. The only place I have a spray issue is the transom above the DF transducer.

deermaster said:
nothing that complicated, just make em outta exterior plywood. thanks for the info on your boat, sounds very similar to the load i would be carrying.

Just make sure it isn't treated.Treated lumber has copper in it which cause galvanic corrosion and will eat up aluminum in short order.

Have you looked into any vees? 'Round here, used ones are more common than flat jons. I have been in water that I didn't like being in my 1542 jon, powered by a 40 horse, that I have felt fine in a 12 foot vee, with a 4 horse. You loose a bit of still water stability, but they are definitely capable of rougher water. Plus, you have a drier smoother ride, in light chop. 2 inch chop will just bounce you to death in a flat jon (You may not have that problem, as I don't know if I would want to run a 1436 at 30 mph, which is what I am getting :shock: ).

Latest posts