1988 Sea Nymph Deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel654

Reaction score
I have been reading alot of post about ply prep before carpeting. I have my deck almost done I just wanted run my steps by you all let me know if I need to add or do something diff.

1. 3-4 coats of thompson (the regular )
2. 3-4 coats of poly
3. apply 2 coats of deck paint

Do I need to sand in between poly coat ?
Do I put the poly down then paint or paint first?

You only need to do one of the 3 below.. and then those with a little difference. I'm going to number them just like you did - but pick only 1.

1. Use only 1 coat of Thompsons. A little water is still going to seep in, and multiple coats will not allow it to dry out

2. Poly.. not much experience with this for boating, but I personally wouldn't use it

3. Deck Paint.. ok so I'm partial to this one because it's working for me. This is an exterior paint/stain that seeps into the wood and seals, repels.. You can get by with multiple coats of this because since it does seep into the wood, the water really can't penetrate it. I painted my deck with this stuff, and used what I had left over. I saw how bad of shape my deck was in (never stained, water sealed or anything). I pressure washed it, let it dry out, then put 2 coats on (lots of fun in 100* weather in the GA sun). Anyways, that was over a year ago and it's still looking like it did the day I painted it. That's been about 40" of rain, a snow storm, hail, and an ice storm. So with that being said - I'm Russ Edwards and I approve deck stain.

Either way you go, you don't need to sand in between coats. Sanding between coats of paint is for exterior shine on your boat and taking away runs and blemishes.

no problemo. i hate to see you go through all that trouble and it end up being a mess for you in the long run. A gal of that deck stain is like $20 at Sherwin Williams. I've still got some more left over I'd give ya if you were closer.. but I can't ship that stuff (I don't have the permits or something like that). I tried once before and UPS threatened to ban me from shipping with them - so no more chances for me!

Latest posts