Ribbing on the inside of riveted boats...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTL

Reaction score
I have a starcraft riveted boat that has the ribbing every 14 inches or so along the inside of the hull. Now I know its there to add support - it is essential - but the problem is just about 3/4 of an inch of water always sits down between the ribs and with compartments and wood and everything in makes everything stay wet and humid.

So heres my question - has anyone ever drilled a little drain hole on each side of the ribs to let water flow through to the back where it can be scooped or removed with the bilge? Or would this compromise hull integrity and or cause any other problems?

Is the boat completely flat-bottomed? Seems like water would run under the ribs and to the rear of the boat. Any close-up pics of the inside of the boat bottom and ribs you can post, if accessible?

I've never seen ribs hold water... but, I wouldn't think you would damage the integrity of the rims since you aren't cutting out slots, only drilling small (1/8" or less) drain holes

Its a V hull - I dont think I have explained it well enough.

The water isnt inside the ribs. Its between each rib. The ribs are tight enough to the aluminum that the water doesnt run underneath them. Its not much water, maybe enough to fill a half coke can, but it is enough to make stuff stay wet that I keep down there.

I know exactly what he is talking about. On most vees, the ribs are rounded topped, rarely higher than 3/4 inch or so. But, none of the formed in Chines are in the center, which is the lowest point in the hull (center chine is usually riveted on the outside). So, the water can't get under the chine, as there is no rib for it to run down, and being that it is riveted down tightly, a 3/4 inch pool of water will develop in front of the rib.

While a little hole wouldn't do much harm on the structural integrity, and would drain the water, it will also get clogged very easily, and you will be back to square one. The only real long term option is to live with it. One reason I advocate aluminum in boat projects (besides being more fun to work with :wink: ). It isn't effected by the moisture that will be in the hull at all times. I bet you couldn't find a single boat on the market, that either the plug or the bilge pump will get all the water out (besides that stuck to the inside of the hull due to viscous friction). There are little places on every boat that will catch small amounts of water.

Oh, you posted right as I was typing. I assume your hatches open to the hull, and aren't lined with anything. Really, your best option is to make hatch liners of some sort, either of wood, aluminum, or plastic storage totes, that lifts your stuff off the hull. Allows you to actually have a "bilge," which is defined as the lower part of the hull, under all the decks, whose sole purpose is to collect the water that inadvertently collects in the hull.

Bassboy1, thanks for the help. I suppose Ill try and line the hatch compartments better - they are straight alabama redneck lookin right now. I have some old milk crates cut out that holds plano boxes, various plastics - but what prompted this was my life jacket was just stuffed down there and has apparently rotted in the water.

If I had the money to do this right, man what a boat I could make. But everything is made from something else, so my vision so to speak is compromised.

Latest posts