New project!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigj8145

Reaction score
I have an unknown aged Polar Kraft 16' jon that is 4' wide in the bottom of the bow and 4.5' in the back. I plan on getting a 8-9.9 Mercury from A.F.A Marine in Fl., has anyone used them before? I am going to deck the boat and add some things so I will keep everyone posted. Would 12" tires be enough for a rig like this? I has some old 13" on it now but I am having a hard time finding some used rims. The trailer is built well and a little heavy but the 12" tires are rated for 750lbs. Thanks

Jason

Attachments

• jon project.jpg
    jon project.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 769
Welcome Aboard, and nice looking rig! The 12" tires will probably suffice for now, however imo once you start adding weight from your mods you may want to go with the 13" tires, especially if you plan on towing it a long ways.

Keep the total wet load under 1900 pounds, and those 12s should be fine. 13s would be nice, but the 12s are acceptable up to their weight limit. It takes quite a bit of stuff to make a rig like that weight 1900 pounds.

The 9.9 is going to be no speed demon, but it will get you there. I would say 5 mph or maybe slightly more.

a 10 hp motor should scoot you along faster than 5 if your not loaded down to the limit.

bigger rims can benifit you (less the axle turns longer it and bearings will last) but id say your rims will be fine, look at the load range on your tires. im gonna guess those little tires are load range A wich sould be around 45mph max. you can always upgrade the tires to a stiffer load range

Here are some pics from the last few days of work. All I need is to finish the compartment door and trim work on the sides of the floor and I will start on the back. :fishing2:

Attachments

• JON Project 001.jpg
    JON Project 001.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 764
  • JON Project 002.jpg
    JON Project 002.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 771
  • JON Project 003.jpg
    JON Project 003.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 766
  • JON Project 008.jpg
    JON Project 008.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 769
Here are the pics of the finished front and back. All I have left is capping of the center boxes and wiring the lights. :fishing2:

Attachments

• JON Project 013.jpg
    JON Project 013.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 749
  • JON Project 010.jpg
    JON Project 010.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 747
  • JON Project 011.jpg
    JON Project 011.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 745
  • JON Project 012.jpg
    JON Project 012.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 747
I have everything done but capping off the center boxes and carpeting them. Cant wait to get it on the water!

Attachments

• JON Project 014.jpg
    JON Project 014.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 315
  • JON Project 015.jpg
    JON Project 015.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 317
Nice job on the boat !

I was wondering is that 8 hp from A.F.A Marine and are you happy with the motor>?

I've been checking out there outboards and was hoping to get a review or two before I ordered a motor from them.

HBK :D

Boat looks great!
thumb_thumbs_up_pic.jpg

It is from A.F.A. I had no problems at all. I have not put it on the water yet but I took it out of the box and it started on the first pull.

Latest posts