Thinking about building a t top

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicuda

Reaction score
Thinking about making a romovable t top for my 16' jon. not sure what i'm goin to make it out of yet. I would like to use aluminum but i don't have a spool gun for my mig or a bender. I'm thinking of using mandrel bent thin wall steel exhaust tubing. it would look similar to the picture except with rocket launcher style rod holders built into either the top or the sides and canvas streched over the top like a traditional trampoline style t top. what do you guys think any sugjestions or pics of tops others have built?
boatttop.jpg

just found this boat on craigslist i realy like this top as well, i'm afraid it may be way out of my budget
jonwithtop.jpg

I would like to use aluminum but i don't have a spool gun for my mig or a bender.
How is your setup for stainless? The plan you drew doesn't have much that really needs bending.

I suggest that you just install a Bimini top - those T-tops on small boats really eat up lots of room. It will be in your way casting and just moving around

I've thought about installing a bimini top on my 16' rig but decided it would be in my way. When I'm fishing alone I move from front to back of boat quite a bit sometimes, especially if the wind has me spinning on the hook (anchor) and I'm trying to keep the bait in a specific location. Also figured the top would act as a sail and push me around even more. I also thought about the Mantis umbrella tops, then decided to heck with it, will stick with an open boat, lol.

Mantis Pro-Techt: https://www.pro-techt.com/index-fishing.cfm

Those little Mantis umbrella tops are pretty cool.
I don't get enough sun to justify one though,maybe it would make a nice sail.

Zum said:
I don't get enough sun to justify one though, maybe it would make a nice sail.

They do look functional, but the sail part crossed my mind also. I have enough problems staying in one spot, lol.

bassboy1 said:
I would like to use aluminum but i don't have a spool gun for my mig or a bender.
How is your setup for stainless? The plan you drew doesn't have much that really needs bending.
I can do stainless just need to get the gas and wire thats no problem.
Waterwings said:
Zum said:
I don't get enough sun to justify one though, maybe it would make a nice sail.

They do look functional, but the sail part crossed my mind also. I have enough problems staying in one spot, lol.
have not thought of the top acting as a sail that could be a big pain.

Since you can weld stainless, that is what I would be using, as it is much more favorable than steel. Most Tee Tops are stainless anyway.

However, I do suggest you consider the bimini. The nice thing with them is, on a calm day, you can have it up, and then if the wind picks up, you can put it down real easily.

I did one out of 1 inch pvc pipe and fittings.I use aluminum C channel for the hinge points.I had 2 covers.One was made from a silver poly tarp and one made from a canvas top.I used double sided carpet tape for my edges and seems.I used a grommet kit in places I wanted to lash it down.I wish I had pics of it.I installed it on a fiberglass jon some 15 years ago.

Latest posts