How much fuel is to much?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
I have a 14'x36" Seaking flat bottom Jon boat. I will be replacing my Evinrude 9.5hp with a Mariner 25hp yamaha based motor. I have a 6 gallon fuel tank now which works well with the 9.5. I'm considering a larger tank for the 25 for two reasons first the 25 uses more fuel second for more weight up front. I've come across a 12 gallon tank at a good price that I can fit under a front casting deck that I will be adding. Is 12 gallons to much? I can buy a 9 gallon but it would cost more than the 12..

Hi,
I had a 13 gallon in my G3 pro team 165 with a 25hp....factory. 1 Gallon of gas I think is around 6 pounds. The 25 sipped gas, I would fill it twice a year. I would personally go with the smaller tank. How much is the price difference?

The 9 gal is $66.00 with tax and is an odd shape. The 12 gal is $55.00 and is rectanglier.

I have a 1448 semi-V Alweld and with my old 2-stroke 25 Yamaha I had a 50 mile cruise range on 6 gallons. I now have a Yamaha 25 4-stroke and I have gone 90 miles GPS on a little less than 6 gallons. We fish an area called the Biloxi Marsh or Breton Sound and we runanywhere from 40 - 60+ miles every trip. I bring extra gas on every trip, but I've never had too use it. I guess I bring it for peace of mind.

If the larger tank fits and is cheaper than I would buy it. If you're worried about the weight of the extra 3 gallons, then don't fill it to full capacity.

I have a nissan 25 2 stroke with a 6 gallon tank I've never ran out of gas but I keep a extra 6 gallons on hand to refill if need be. I wish i had a bigger tank, but I'm paranoid about running out of gas on the water.

It all depends on where you run the boat. Obviously if you are running a water system that is huge (great lakes, a big river or the salt water) you can never have too much fuel. If you are on smaller lakes then your smaller tank is fine.

With a 14' jon boat i do not see you making super long runs anywhere so I woudl put that money towards something else other then a new fuel tank. Plus, fuel tanks seem to be everywhere, I found two wading the river both 6 gallon boat tanks. Keep your eyes open aroudn marinas and such and I bet you find a used tank or three in a short time. You can usually get these for under $20.00.

Tight Lines

I was having the same dilemma until a buddy said, buy the bigger tank just in case, you don't have to fill it all the way. Good luck with your decision.

Latest posts