Wonder what a fella could do with this stuff?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
Look what I found at the front door when I got home yesterday. The pile would be 60 foot of 1.5x1.5x.125 angle and 16 foot of 1.5x1.5x.125 square tube. Let the fun begin! I know you guys love pictures so I thought I would post this as a tease. The build starts tomorrow. Pics of my new boat are here https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6563

Took a week and a half to get the Aluminum from the west coast but in that time I tweaked my design several times and like the end results much better than my original layout. Better to get all that out of the way while it's still on paper than after all these high dollar beer cans get cut up. Will try to remember to take lots of pics along the way tomorrow.

-- Poolie

Boat_Aluminum.JPG

I'm going to let you finish modding your 1442 before I even start (that is when and if I get it)

Well, didn't get as much done today as had hoped but here's a pic of the cut material for the front deck. The chop saw with a cheap 60 tooth carbine blade did the trick for cutting. Did learn a lesson for next time. Wear a long sheet shirt. Those aluminum shards flying everywhere are hot and hurt when they stick in your skin. The drill press has been a HUGE help today. I took some of the angle and cut it into 24 1.5" long angle clips and made a jig for the drill press so that the holes in the clips are all in the same place... yeah, I know, it's all going to get covered up but I'm weird like that.

Bassboy1, you mentioned to someone on another thread that a pneumatic rivet gun would be handy... I have a 132 more to go and I'd sure like to have one about now. At least the assembly part has begun.

cut_mtrl.JPG

support_angles.JPG

Poolie,

Whats the story with the Aluminum from the West Coast?

Brine said:
Poolie,

Found a place in Seattle that had pretty good prices on aluminum. I'm sure if I had looked around a little more I could have found an equal or better deal a little closer to home, but Spring's a coming and I *have* to be on the water by then so I'm getting impatient.

The place is https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=60&step=2&top_cat=60 in case you're looking. I think an 8' stick of 1.5x1.5x.125 structural angle was $13.30 and I saw the same piece in HD yesterday for $48

poolie said:
I think an 8' stick of 1.5x1.5x.125 structural angle was $13.30 and I saw the same piece in HD yesterday for $48

What gets me is this Bozo on Bassresource who always argues with me when I tell somebody that there are better prices on aluminum than HD. Always. :roll: :roll:

poolie said:
Found a place in Seattle that had pretty good prices on aluminum. I'm sure if I had looked around a little more I could have found an equal or better deal a little closer to home, but Spring's a coming and I *have* to be on the water by then so I'm getting impatient.

The place is https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=60&step=2&top_cat=60 in case you're looking. I think an 8' stick of 1.5x1.5x.125 structural angle was $13.30 and I saw the same piece in HD yesterday for $48

Wow, that's substantial. Thanks for the info.

bassboy1 said:
poolie said:
I think an 8' stick of 1.5x1.5x.125 structural angle was $13.30 and I saw the same piece in HD yesterday for $48

What gets me is this Bozo on Bassresource who always argues with me when I tell somebody that there are better prices on aluminum than HD. Always. :roll: :roll:

And what's at HD is the 6063 which I don't believe is considered structural.

Macgyver said:
ya but how much was the shipping?

Shipping was around $30 for 60 ft of angle and 16 ft of square tube. The tube is twice as heavy as the angle and is what drove the price up. I will say though, the packaging was awesome. It came in a cardboard tube about a 1/4" thick with wooden ends stapled in.

-- Poolie

poolie said:
Macgyver said:
ya but how much was the shipping?

Shipping was around $30 for 60 ft of angle and 16 ft of square tube. The tube is twice as heavy as the angle and is what drove the price up. I will say though, the packaging was awesome. It came in a cardboard tube about a 1/4" thick with wooden ends stapled in.

-- Poolie

=D>
You know the trouble with this entire forum is, JUST when I think :idea: "that's the way I'm going to layout & do my boat!"; here comes along someone else with even a BETTER idea. Makes one sort of apprehensive about even starting :lol: Can't wait to see your structural progress using the aluminum. I originally was going to go with aluminum but temporarily gave up on the idea because I had no mig welder with an aluminum spool or a Tig welder (the latter wouldn't have mattered anywho because I don't know how to Tig weld #-o ).

Thanks Poolie for the info on the aluminum.

BloodStone said:
=D>
You know the trouble with this entire forum is, JUST when I think :idea: "that's the way I'm going to layout & do my boat!"; here comes along someone else with even a BETTER idea. Makes one sort of apprehensive about even starting :lol: Can't wait to see your structural progress using the aluminum. I originally was going to go with aluminum but temporarily gave up on the idea because I had no mig welder with an aluminum spool or a Tig welder (the latter wouldn't have mattered anywho because I don't know how to Tig weld #-o ).

One persons set up may not work for the next person.There's no need for a welder when adding decks.Use cherry(pop) rivets,stainless steel self tapping screws,or stainless steel bolts with washer and lock nuts.No need for welding.

poolie said:
Brine said:
Poolie,

Poolie
Depending on your area that online metals is a good deal even with shipping. I have a friend in the metals business and I showed him my quote with shipping and he said they couldnt touch that price for the size of my order. It comes later this week so hopefully my packaging will be as good as yours was. I got 10 8 foot 1x1x1/8 square tube 2 8 foot 1x1x1/8 angle in 6061. Wish I had a drill press for drilling my brackets like yours. Good work and keep us posted on your progress.

russ010 said:
ben2go said:
No need for welding.

ditto... rivets and screws are easier to take out for future mods - welds are a PITA!

ben2go and Russ beat me too it, but yeah, welding is too permanent. Rivets and screws are plenty strong and you can always undo any mistakes.

Poolie

Latest posts