Determining necessary hp for new Grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumbles1960

Reaction score
I'm starting to keep an eye out for a out board for my new Grizzly 1448 AWL, the boat weighs in at a hefty 440 lbs according to Trackers web site. I will be rigging with seats, trolling motor, battery etc. and will usually have 1 or 2 people on board. It is a modified V hull and will primarily be used in medium to large northern Ontario lakes. It's max rated hp is 25. I'm leaning towards a 20 or 25 hp outboard, but I am wondering how and what determines the hp you have selected for your boats?

There should be a placard attached to the inside of the hull with HP rating and load (people, gear, etc). The Tracker site should state the recommended HP for either Tiller-type or installed steering.

Here you go, right from the Tracker site for the 1448AWL:

Length: 14'
Beam: 70"
Transom Height: 20"
Bottom Width: 48"
Max. Recommended: HP 25 HP (this would be a tiller-type)
Max. Person Capacity: 4 Persons
Max. Person Weight: 512 Lbs.
Max. Weight Capacity: 885 Lbs.
Hull Material 0.100 5052 Marine Alloy
Hull Weight (approx.) 440 Lbs.

Yes I am aware that the max hp rating is 25 hp but what I'm asking is what other considerations are used when determining what hp one should put on his boat. Is always going with the highest rated hp the best way to go?

One factor is design/material and strength of the transom, and factors such as the weight of the motor and the stability of the boat all come into play. I personally wouldn't exceed the recommended hp, although some people do.

It is always said, in most boating fields, be it jons, bass boats, pleasure boats etc, to max out the hp. If you don't, there will come a time that you will wish you did.

jirwin6985 said:
For me its what i got a deal on for my motor. Im still keeping my eyes out for a newer motor preferable a 15 but i cant complain with mine. Sometimes the lakes you fish will have a hp limit which dictates some people. It also depends on he kinda fishing your going to be doing as well to a point. For insance i wouldnt spend the money on a 25hp if im going to send 95% of my time trolling around the lake at 4mph looking for striper. And i wouldnt buy a 10hp if i spend alot of my time running across a large body of water. Hope that helps.
Joe

I agree with this 100%.My lakes lakes have horsepower restrictions and they have banned 2 strokes out right.They do check.Ask me how I know. :roll:

bassboy1 said:
It is always said, in most boating fields, be it jons, bass boats, pleasure boats etc, to max out the hp. If you don't, there will come a time that you will wish you did.

I do agree with bassboy if your boats max horsepower doesn't exceed the lake(s) horsepower restrictions.I'd go max HP.

I bought a used 1448 Ultra Jon with a used Nissan 25HP electric start and it pushes my boat 26MPH with just me and my gear. I think you will be happier with a 25 HP.

Rumbles1960 said:
how and what determines the hp you have selected for your boats?

MONEY.

Seriously, I would get the biggest motor I could afford. If you are looking at a 20 - 25hp motor I doubt you are fishing restricted hp lakes. I can not think of a time I heard anyone complain about having too much hp on a boat (as long as they were within the manufacturers recommendations). More hp means more speed and sometimes that's the difference between getting caught in bad weather on the lake and driving home before it hits.